1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2Wire 2701HG connection with cable modem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by abhi_zeus007, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abhi_zeus007

abhi_zeus007 Thread Starter

Hi

I have the 2701HG wireless router which I used to connect when I had th ATT DSL broadband connection.

Now I have switched to the Cable internet and I want to use thsi wireless router to connect to the cable modem so that I get a wireless connection in my home.

Is there a way I can use the existing wireless router as the input which this router is looking for is DSL signal, but I am connecting this with the cable modem through the ethernet port and I am able to get the wireless signal but it does not connect to internet.

2. loched

loched

Here's the userguide for 2701 series dsl modem/gateways from 2wire. http://www.2wire.com/pages/pdfs/5100-000326-000.Rev.A.pdf
    Being that your cable is connected via ethernet to the 2wire, the best you can probably do is to use the 2wire as a switch, so no dhcp from the 2wire.
    Wireless routers are cheap and plentiful these days. Compusa had a Trendnet for 5 bucks!

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591534

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice