1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2wire DSL Modem Router and a Linksys VOIP router setup advice

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Molina, Nov 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Molina

Molina Thread Starter

I don't know if this is possible, but this is what I want to do:
    Have the dsl modem router and linksys voip connected together.
    I want the voip router to assign dhcp and the dsl modem router to
    be used to get internet access but not assign dhcp (I think)

This is why I want it:

I have 8 wireless linksys cam's configured through the voip router.
    Setting the cam's to the modem router didn't work well because of
    AT&T's firewall cannot be disabled, only modified to open ports. It's frustrating as when I opened the ports for the cam's, a consistant "an unknown error has occured". So I opted to just set up the cams on the linksys router as the cams are also linksys as well. Thus, figuring they would communicate better anyway.

This is my problem:

When I connect the dsl modem router to the
    WAN port on the linksys router, the dsl modem assigns it
    a fixed LAN ip. What I want is the linksys router to pull a WAN ip so I can log into my cam's remotely from my laptop at home.
    No matter what I do, disable dhcp on linksys router, set linksys router on the dsl modem router to DMZ, set linksys router to bridge mode.....
    nothing seems to work.

All I want to do is configure the linksys router so that when I go to my internet explorer on my laptop and type in "99.xxx.xxx.xx:1024 to connect to the cam's. But when I go to linksys router config. pages to see the status, the internet ip is 192.168.1.64 which is a LAN address assigned by the modem router!

By the way, the linksys router IS set to 192.168.0.1 and the modem router's default is 192.168.1.254. Modem router is set to DHCP. I have tried setting linksys router to bridge, no DHCP, setting the DNS server to the same DNS on the modem router, and still cannot get linksys router to pull a WAN address. Please advise.

2. srhoades

srhoades

I have a 2wire and I despise it. That being said you should be able to put your Linksys in the DMZ and then all traffic will be open to it. Make sure and turn off DHCP in the 2wire if the Linksys will be handling it.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Configure the 2WIRE in bridge mode to eliminate it's NAT layer and use the Linksys as a standard router.

4. srhoades

srhoades

Like I said, I despise the 2wires, the newer ones don't support bridge mode. DMZ is as close as you get.

5. JohnWill

Well, DMZ will work, I used to run my Actiontec MI424WR in that mode to connect a secondary router. It worked fine, including port forwarding.

6. Molina

Molina Thread Starter

Here Here!! To despising 2wire. And while I am at it, I despise dsl. If I could get cable, I would get it dump AT&T.

Update:
    I turned off DHCP in the 2wire router. I turned off wireless in the 2wire. Set my linksys router to DMZ on the 2wire and it pulls a WAN address! Yay.

But I still can't connect to my dvr cam's OR my wireless internet cam's.

They are all configured on the linksys router that is wireless enabled on channel 6. I opened all the corresponding ports to my camera's on the linksys router. So far, no dice.

Now I am troubleshooting to see if there is ANY little oversight I am missing.
    Any Ideas are welcome. :)

7. JohnWill

Let's see the LAN status screen for the 2WIRE and the WAN status screen for the Linksys router.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to TSG, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

8. Molina

Molina Thread Starter

Here is the info requested. Hope you can see the problem as I have been racking my brain on this one.

Attached Files:

9. Molina

Molina Thread Starter

Two thoughts:

1. Could it have something to do with my Windows 7 pc settings? Firewall is off for now. Antivirus is off for now. Pc is set to dmz mode on my home router, linksys wrt610N.
    2. I found the setting in 2wire using 192.168.1.254/mdc to turn on bridge mode! Currently getting ready to submit new settings. :)

10. JohnWill

From those dumps, it appears that the 2WIRE is bridged, your VoIP has the same public IP address as is present in the 2WIRE.

Is the VoIP working?

BTW, I'd prefer if you'd follow the instructions for uploading the screen shots here, and also make them sufficient resolution to easily read. :)

11. Molina

Molina Thread Starter

I tried to follow your directions using a jpeg BUT I couldn't get Paint to load it. So, that's why I used word. Sorry. Windows 7 is better than vista, but I do not have the full command of the OS yet.

Yes, voip is working. When I went into 2wire mdc mode, it was showing it as routing, not bridged. Even though the detailed settings say it's bridged. (Maybe it's bridged through the pppoe inner and outer lines?)

I submitted settings for the 2wire to go into bridge mode. I may need to recycle the routers and pc for settings to take effect. As of right now, I am disconnected remotely till I get to the office where the 2wire is and reboot. Once this is done, I will post my findings. Thank you :)

12. JohnWill

Well, from what I saw in your previous post, the 2WIRE was bridged, because the VoIP box was receiving a public IP address. That would only happen if the 2WIRE has no active NAT layer.

13. Molina

Molina Thread Starter

Yes, you are right. I tried disabling PPPoE on the 2wire and setting it up on the linksys. That didn't work. AT&T error page came up instructing me to enable it. So, I took it back to disabled DHCP on 2Wire with DHCP enabled on linksys. And setting linksys into DMZ on the 2wire. I have internet again.

But I am sure that as soon as I get home and try to see my camera's via ip address:port, I will inevitably be disappointed once again.

14. JohnWill

Well, at least we're making progress. :D

15. Molina

Molina Thread Starter

problem solved! A few days ago I was searching around the wireless and LAN adapter and then went into command prompt. I did an ipconfig /all and retrieved the dns. There were three DNS addresses? Then I went over to the linksys router config and the ATT modem router config. I saw that the ATT modem router had two extra DNS addresses than the linksys router. I went into the setup of the linksys router and added those dns addresses into the config. Rebooted all devices and computers and then started the ATT modem router first. When that was up, I started the Linksys router. Then I started the computers and camera's. Whalllaah! I worked! I can see all cam's. I can type in the ip of each cam and the port number to access them. Who would have thought it was a DNS problem? Apparently the ATT modem router wanted Linksys to have the same DNS, even though Linksys was sending out its own. I don't completely understand, but just glad I figured it out. Thanks to all who helped. :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/877239

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice