1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2Wire HomePortal connectivity problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by cidril, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cidril

cidril Thread Starter

Hi, I use a 2Wire HomePortal 1000HG as an internet router with a wireless connection and at least several times per day, if not every 20 minutes, it loses connectivity and I'm told there's "limited or no connectivity". All the lights are always still green on the router when this happens, and unplugging the router power, waiting half a minute, and plugging it back in always works to restore the internet, only to have to do it all over again 20 minutes later. We have two laptop computers, both the same, and the problem seems to happen more often when we are both online then when just one computer is in use. Again, restarting the router always solves the problem but only very temporarily. Any insights? It's beginning to become a real pain. Thanks,

my computer specs:

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6600 @ 2.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 4028 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family, 1790 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 461899 MB, Free - 408149 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0D176M, A07, .34Z1XK1.CN486439B72148.
    Antivirus: Symantec Endpoint Protection, Updated: Yes, On-Demand
    Scanner: Enabled

2. JennyJackson01

JennyJackson01 Account Closed

It sounds like you might do well to try running a Winsock and TCP/IP stack repair as they`re easily corrupted and can cause wireless problems.

In the Run command, type cmd to open the command line.

Now type: netsh winsock reset catalog & press enter. (resets winsock entries)
    Now type: netsh int ip reset reset.log hit & press enter. (resets TCP/IP stack)

Reboot your PC and see what happens. As the settings have been reset, you might need to put the password/code in the first time your adaptor finds the network but it should be okay after that.

Regards
    Jenny

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Check to see if ethernet connections also drop at the same time as the wireless.

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. Best to attach one for when you have a good connection, and another for when connection is lost.

Jenny's repairs are for XP SP2 and SP3. You could also try ...

(From a JohnWill post)

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista or 7.

Start, Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

4. cidril

cidril Thread Starter

Hi Jenny and Terry, thanks for your responses. I tried the TCP/IP stack repair and they all worked except the IPv6 TCP/IP stack repair, as it said there was no command that could be completed. I'd been waiting for an opportunity to get a screenshot of the Xirrus wi-fi inspector when the connectivity was dropped, but since I ran those commands it hasn't been a problem! So, I'm cautiously optimistic that it worked.

Is this something you would recommend doing periodically, as they are easily corrupted, or only when a problem with connectivity arises? Thanks again very much for your help.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    IMO you can run the repairs as often as you like, but there is no point in doing so unless you have a networking problem. I've never used them on most of my systems (past and current).

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973318

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice