1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2x 7950GT or 1x 8-series?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by charlesviper, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. charlesviper

charlesviper Thread Starter

Hey all,

I've currently got a second-hand 7950GT which had a voltage inductor break off, meaning I'm going to have to restructure the fans [they will no longer work on the card itself]. This came at a time where I've been overclocking, trying to decrease temperatures, etc.

I'm wondering if, for performance in DX9 games, two 256MB LeadTek 7950GTs in SLi would beat a single 8800GT / 8800GTS / 8800GTX?

I don't have Vista and I don't play DX10 games...yet. For the time being, would paying for a 7950GT at half the price of an 8800GTX and running the two cards in SLi give me a performance advantage?

I could then wait until prices fall on a 8800GTX.

Charles

2. charlesviper

A shameless bump.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I am no fan of sli; to me the tech is just a gimmick to sell more cards. Go with the single 8800gts or if you can afford it, the 8800gtx card.

FWIW sli is not new technology. It has been around since the late 90s. The voodoo line of cards had some with two gpus on a single card; one the 6000 [I think] had four gpus [with four fans] on one card :eek: :eek:
    It was about the size of a small motherboard :eek:

4. charlesviper

Thanks for that tip. I was under the idea that since you can set the graphics cards to render every other frame [card one, card two, card one, card two, etc], you'd get exactly twice the performance. I guess it's not that simple...

I've fixed my 7950 GT, but I won't get another card until I can get an 8800GTX.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That is the way sli is supposed to work however I doubt you would see more than a 20% real world improvement over the single card. The 8800xx series will give you better performance without the need for a larger pw supply for the two cards.

Two 7950s would most likely require a pw supply of around 550-600W with at least 35-40amp on the 12V rails.

Note you are going to need a high quality pw supply for the 8800 as well; just not quite as expensive of a one.

6. charlesviper

Woah thanks for this useful information. Do you have any sources for SLi performance? Bar graphs and statistics and the like?

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I am sure there are some available. I built a system a while ago with one 7900 and another one was added later. It really did not make all that much of a difference in games, etc. A small improvement however nothing earth shaking.

8. MichaelDee

MichaelDee

What you can do is wait for the 8800gt which is supposed to be coming out next week (31st). Its supposed to be just slower than the ultra, but only about $250.

With sli, you can never get twice the performance. You will usually get an increase, but this depends on many things. I bought a board and psu that is sli ready, just in case I decided to go that route, but there can be problems to sort out before it is running smoothly. I'd prefer to buy a single card that performs well as opposed to buying 2 mediocre cards, sli them and still have performance that isn't close to a decent card. If it was a case where SLIing 2 cards would give you twice the performance, great, but buying 2 $800 cards for the slight increase in performance over the single $800 card is really far from a bargain.

I've got the 7950gt and I haven't had any complaints yet. I play almost all of my games with high settings and resolutions (if available) and rarely have slowdowns, which is very nice. I don't OC, just enough to optimize the speeds everything run at.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644045

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice