2x 8GB RAM <--- Won't boot with both (PC)

nrpeyton

Hello,

Need some guidance.

After changing a graphics card, my PC refused to boot. (2x8GB worked fine before).

Eventually, I tried removing one 8GB RAM stick - and voila, it booted into windows 10. I thought, "no way - how can a stick of RAM just stop working, it has no moving parts". So, I swapped the sticks.

It worked! But wait a minute, I used the same slot!

The stick I had removed, I then tried re-inserting. No luck. I swapped them around, no luck. I tried them in the wrong slots (i.e A1 A2 instead of A1 B1), obviously no luck.

I removed one, rebooted. Removed two, no luck. Tried one again, rebooted, this time no luck.

Repeated all the above, different results.

Every single time I tried a new slot combination I'd also go through the below process:

------------------------
-Resetting the BIOS.
-Powering off at the wall to drain capacitors.

-I even tried removing the battery one time.
------------------------

I continued swapping them around into different slots/different combinations, sometimes repeating the same slots/same combinations.

Eventually, after another 35 minutes of fumbling around, a previous non-functional 2x 8GB slot combination suddenly started working again after another power cycle. (even though I'd done nothing differently).

It then worked perfectly until I needed to add a second graphics card, (5 months later on).

This time, I'm up to 1.5hrs, I have repeated and changed 20x combinations, power cycled it about 40x times, reset to default BIOS 6x times, removed the battery once, but I cannot get it to work. This time, one of the ram sticks also "appears" to be giving the most problems, but it still works on its own. (I can only boot using 1x 8GB).

The stick which consistently usually works on its own also works in all individual slots.

Also, as soon as one of the sticks begins working on its own, it then continues to work flawlessly on its own, (I can reboot again, enable XMP @ 3600 and that works flawlessly too.

The only exception to this is the following:-
Sometimes one of the sticks (which I marked with a pen), needs more fumbling to "initially" get it working. As soon as it does start working though, it then works completely flawlessly, (as I mentioned in the last paragraph).

My specs are as follows:

-i7 7700k
-Asus ROG Strix Z270-H Gaming
-G.SKill Trident Z (F4-3600C16D-16GTZ)

At the beginning of last year (2021), I also swapped my motherboard to my current one from an ASUS ROG IX APEX, the APEX had some problems, but one of them was the same memory issue, (one day it would no longer boot with both sticks). - One reason I bought the Strix, is because I was sick of being restricted to 8GB.

Notice though, that the same g.skill kit (2x 8GB) was indeed working on the new motherboard (Strix) flawlessly until my 1st graphics card incident. (In other words, I thought I'd solved the memory issue when I swapped the motherboard out). Even when both did stop working on my new motherboard during my 1st graphics card incident, I was able (as explained further up) successfully able to get the kit working flawlessly again with all the mentioned fumbling about.

I am now getting sick of being stuck to 8GB again. But after everything I've already been through, I am at a total f'ing loss. about what to do.

Any good ideas?

P.S
I'd rather try to avoid having to buy more RAM now, because my next RAM purchase will be part of a complete "next-generation" overhaul.

Kind regards,
Nick Peyton

Last edited:
Download memtest86, burn to USB stick and boot it and let it run for 6 hrs. If any errors appear then that ram stick is the problem.

nrpeyton

I guess it wouldn't hurt to run it again. (I have performed memtest86 tests on this kit previously).

I'll try it, but I am pessimistic. RAM has such a low failure rate, (1 in every 244). Not to mention that every time I get it to *initially boot*, it then works flawlessly.

I'll report back after the test.

Thanks.

crjdriver

First of all, is the ram in question on the qvl list for your motherboard? I took a quick look and while there are a lot of gskill ram listed, I did not see any config of 2x8 for a total of 16gig. Again, that was a quick look.
Next when you insert this ram, are you able to access the bios or does the system flat not POST?

nrpeyton

I hear what you're saying about the QVL list, but remember it was working perfectly before, (In fact, WHEN it [did] boot I could simply restart it and enable XMP and it would run at its maximum/rated speed with zero issues).

Now it doesn't boot at all. I can't even get into BIOS. (It hangs on the error code for DDR/CPU, and sometimes cycles to CPU then back to DDR again).

Progress Report:
I just learned that g.skill (my memory manufacturer), apparently offers a limited lifetime warranty. (But that would mean also sending back the good stick as well and would leave me with no PC--as it is sold as a 2x8GB kit for 16GB total).

Therefore, I found 16GB (2x8GB) 3000Mhz DDR4 for only 40.00 on Ebay.

So, I snatched it up quickly, it should be here tomorrow hopefully. If not, Monday.

So I'll finally know for sure what the problem was. (Hopefully).

Ehh, side note, @crjdriver, not sure what you meant by not being able to see a 2x8 (16GB) compatible kit. It's a common ASUS motherboard on a common intel 7th gen platform. 16GB I believe is the most common DDR4 setup as well. I was intrigued by this though so I double-checked.

My kit actually [is] indeed on the QVL list. (see copy/pasted below from the downloaded QVL list):

G.SKILL F4-3600C15D16GTZ 16GB(8GB*2) SS 15-15-15-35 1.35 V ●

I guess I'll find out when my new kit arrives. I was too scared to go through the whole plugging/unplugging routine another 4 times in case the pressure/bending of the motherboard breaks something. (Much safer to try it on a brand new kit).

Last edited:
If I may chime in with an observation folks :)

My kit actually [is] indeed on the QVL list. (see copy/pasted below from the downloaded QVL list):

G.SKILL F4-3600C15D16GTZ 16GB(8GB*2) SS 15-15-15-35 1.35 V ●
The RAM may be supported by the MB but it depends on what CPU is in the board as to which RAM is 100% compatible with both the CPU and MB and your RAM is not appropriate for the CPU as when XMP is enabled the RAM gets OCd way past what the CPU can handle.

Intel state here that 2400MHz is the maximum speed of DDR4 RAM appropriate for their i7-7700K processor.

crjdriver

Therefore, I found 16GB (2x8GB) 3000Mhz DDR4 for only 40.00 on Ebay
Ebay is about the last place to purchase reliable computer parts. When you are attempting to troubleshoot any problem, you want to eliminate as many variables as possible. In short you buy from a reliable retailer such as newegg, or the memory mfg itself [most sell directly]

nrpeyton

If I may chime in with an observation folks :)

The RAM may be supported by the MB but it depends on what CPU is in the board as to which RAM is 100% compatible with both the CPU and MB and your RAM is not appropriate for the CPU as when XMP is enabled the RAM gets OCd way past what the CPU can handle.

Intel state here that 2400MHz is the maximum speed of DDR4 RAM appropriate for their i7-7700K processor.
I'm not bothered about intel's baselines. And my post wasn't about overclocking.

Nor was it about XMP difficulties. As I said, if anything, when it [WAS] previously working, bonus features such as XMP actually performed perfectly! (And did so for 4 years).

The problem:
PC does not want to boot at all. (EVEN AT BIOS DEFAULTS/SAFE SETTINGS)! (I.E 1600 MHz)

Ebay is about the last place to purchase reliable computer parts. When you are attempting to troubleshoot any problem, you want to eliminate as many variables as possible. In short, you buy from a reliable retailer such as newegg, or the memory mfg itself [most sell directly]
I hear what you're saying. The PC is five years old.

It was also the cheapest way to get a decent [temporary] kit, which, if it works, I can quickly initiate a resell on Ebay with a single mouse click. (After g.skill return my RMA'd kit).

I'll post with an update/results on Monday when the kit arrives.

nrpeyton

Update:

3000 Mhz C15 kit arrived this morning.

OMG, as soon as I powered on after removing the single working 8GB stick, and installing 2x new 8GB sticks (16GB), it booted FIRST TIME. (Without even the slightest bump or hiccup)! And no fumbling about required either!!

Omfg, I even went through a motherboard partly because of this issue -- and the whole time it's been a single faulty 8GB DDR4 stick. (1 in 277 chance of a DDR4 stick going bad - I wish my "luck" worked in the opposite/better way around)!!

I mean how the #!#k does a ram stick go bad?? (It has no moving parts, and before it developed problems it essentially was never ever moved from its home (a motherboard). Before today, I would have placed a bet that the 1 in 277 was more likely probably caused by human mistake (I.E dropping a module, exposing it to a harsh environment, water/condensation damage or even some other physical strain or breakage.

But no, it appears these guys really [do] actually just wear out sometimes.

My new kit 3.0Ghz kit also runs at 3333 Mhz (memtest confirmed), yet it only cost me 40.00 bux, in contrast to my top-range 3600Mhz Trident Z (G.Skill) kit which originally cost 179.00 bux and is also still worth over 130.00 (used) on Ebay.

It does look like with a company such as G.Skill you really are only paying for the G.Skill *name*! (Definitely a mistake I'll now avoid in the future)! I mean not to mention, that RAM speed is over-rated anyway, which makes it even worse!

Nick

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online