1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2x disks XP fail /1x disk Win 98 perfect

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jpallen, Mar 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpallen

jpallen Thread Starter

Dell Inspiron 8200 (IDE interface) notebook
    82gb Hitachi Travelstar d/d-XP loaded Primary disk drive failure O(yet BIOS reads disk)... I can sometimes load using F12 choosing internal disk drive load, works perfect. I have over the past week re-installed XP and run a Hitachi dft diagnosisprogramme no problem found.
    6gb Hitachi (as above)... BUT loads most times runs a little slow and has been known to Windows serious error found and closed down on me. Other times runs perfectly

20gb Hitachi travelstar loaded with Win 98 loads and runs perfectly every time.

I am of course swapping out the drives from the one IDE slot.
    Is this a Windows failure, have I 2 drives failing at the same time or is my 8200 (6 years old after no trouble at all) giving up on me.?

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

It's not a Windows problem. Contrary to popular belief, Windows can't cause physical hard drive damage. You're dealing with very old hard drives.

3. jpallen

jpallen Thread Starter

Groan, woe is me. I think you are right.
    Thank you for a prompt reply
    Regards jpa

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/908129

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice