1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

2x Geforce 7300GT in SLi mode (SLightly Irritating)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ryan27679, Dec 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ryan27679

Ryan27679 Thread Starter

Got 2x Geforce 7300GT 3D cards on a crosshair SLi motherboard. From different manufacturers but same chipset (apparently the new software alows this). Card1 worked fine on its own, Card2 works fine on its own, Card2 not recognised in SLi, nor will it work as the 'master' even if Card1 is connected to it. Device manager flags up a 'problem' (Code 10 - device could not 'start'). I've swapped slots, reversed the SLi bridge, reinstalled hardware, software, updated Nvidia and WinXP-Pro-SP2 but it wont make use of the 2nd card no matter what.

No matter what combination I use - card2 only works when it's alone. Nvidia's 'control panel' doesnt recognise it either. XP realises its there but like I said - it has a problem.

Both cards were new on install.

*Shakes fist* I used to be an Nvidia supporter, but I'll go ATi all the way next time...

For now help me not to have wasted a lot of money on 2 duff cards...

Ryan!

2. rexgrant

rexgrant

Hi Ryan.
    I am sure it is not your cards.from what you say it sounds like a mobo fault I dont know your make of mobo But some require to be manually switched,for both cards to be used in sli.
    Good luck Ryan
    Rex

3. Ryan27679

Ryan27679 Thread Starter

Hi - yea I was thinking along the same lines, since the new card seems to work okay alone, but I've been all through the mobo manual and one of the things i noticed was that the SLi options the manual describes aren't available in my BIOS. I tried to update it (ASUS has its own self-updating BIOS utility in the Crosshair), but it seemed to stall without achieving anything. There doesnt seem to be any mobo jumpers to affect SLi. Its kinda stupid, but I dont know which way around the bridge cable is supposed to be, there are no indications or instructions - maybe it doesnt make a difference...

Will try updating BIOS again. Helluva expensive mobo - you'd think it'd work...

Thanks

Ryan

4. rexgrant

rexgrant

Hi Ryan.
    I dont think the bridge makes any difference.Most problems that I here about are Video driver
    related.I have had a few myself over the last couple of years,The Latest Nvidia driver 93-71as caused a few problems me included,I have gone back to 91-47 But it is very important in sli to clean you video driver before installing new ones .I use the free Driver cleaner pro and always in safe mode.
    All the best
    Rex

5. Ryan27679

Ryan27679 Thread Starter

Tried uninstalling and re-installing various versions of Nvidia software and drivers. I got it to recognise both cards in device manager with no problems BUT the bridge cable was off them. When I switched off and reinstalled the cable, the problem re-occurred with the same card as before.

I dont really know what to try now...

6. GripS

GripS

It's true the latest drivers allow mixing graphics cards from different vendors. If your positive they are using the same GPU then it *should* work. However this is from nvidia's website and it looks like there is still a bit of a gamble:

"With NVIDIA's latest driver series, you can mix and match NVIDIA graphics card vendors, memory clocks and GPU core clocks as long as the GPU's are the same. Here are soem examples of what combinations would work, and some that would not:

EVGA GeForce 6600 with a BFG GeForce 6600 GT = WOULD NOT WORK (different GPU)
    ASUS GeForce 7800 GTX 512 with an MSI GeForce 7800 GTX 256 = WOULD NOT WORK (different GPU)
    Leadtek GeForce 7800 GT with a PNY GeForce 7800 GT = WOULD WORK (Same GPUs)"

So even though the graphics cards are rated the same.They may be running different GPU's.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/527220

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice