1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

3 1/2 drive (A:) inaccessible on rebuilt comp

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DANNYJUNIOR, Dec 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DANNYJUNIOR

DANNYJUNIOR Thread Starter

I am not knowledgeable on the hardware. My mother in law has a rebuilt compaq deskpro running windows 98, and the floppy drive has not worked since day 1 (it is a relative's work, so she is reluctant to harrass him much more). When you try to use or save to the floppy (A:) drive, an error message pops up saying it is inaccessible. Is this something a software installation can fix, or something that requires taking the unit apart?

2. john_waldrum

john_waldrum

By any chance upon boot up is the light to the floppy drive staying on. If it is then the cable to the floopy is on backwards, happened to me once. If not is the light even coming on upon boot up?

3. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel

Does the light on the front of the floppy drive stay on all the time or does it only light up when accesed. If it is on all the time, the ribbon cable that is plugged into the back of the drive is on backwarards. If the light does not come on at all and if you are ok with it, shut the computer off, take the cover off, make sure the power connector is plugged in. It is a small plastic connector. While inside, make sure the ribbon cable is securely plugged into the motherboard and the back of the floppy drive. One other place to look is Start>Settings>Control Panel>System icon and select the Device Manager tab. Look at the entry for Disk Drives and click on the + in front of it. There should be an entry for the floppy. If there is a yellow ! in front of the drive entry, there is a problem with the drive. Let us know what you find.

4. jgerman1

jgerman1

Another thing you may try if all the other suggestions fail, is to go into SETUP, pressing F10 at start up, and go to storage and re-select the floppy drive and the parameters and then save and exit. I work with a lot of DESKPRO 2000s and on occassion, they won't see the floppy drive for whatever reason. After I do the above steps, it works fine.

But the problem is probably one of the previous posts. The power is not connected or the ribbon cable is backwards, loose or disconnected. The red, it might be blue, edge of the cable goes to the side of the power connector. I think the ribbon cable connector is "keyed" so there is only one way to attach it to the drive and motherboard. Also, make sure that the end with the twist in it is connected to the floppy drive or the first floppy drive if you happen to have 2 of them.

5. DANNYJUNIOR

DANNYJUNIOR Thread Starter

Thanks and merry x-mas. More info: this unit is about 5 yrs old, one of the lay-down type, not the vertical type. The light doesn't stay on, but does come on as the comp. attempts to access, then goes out once I click "cancel" on the error message. The floppy IS listed in Device Manager as GENERIC NEC FLOPPY DISC. I will be returning home in the morning, but any more tips will be appreciated and utilized next time we come here to visit.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62802

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice