1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved 3 1/4 Disk Programs to Disk

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by bigsooner, Jan 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bigsooner

bigsooner Thread Starter

Running Win 7 - Is there a way to put 3 1/4 disk programs on CD to run on my system?
    Thanks.

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

1. Do you mean 3½" disks or 5¼" disks? If it's the former, you could purchase a USB drive (exampled here).

3. bigsooner

bigsooner Thread Starter

Sorry about that. Meant to type 3 1/2 but sometimes (?) us old folks forget what we're doing. Better re-read your message so I can remember - oh I remember - it's 1.44 and I have the a drive with USB connection, but I have to plug and unplug all the time. If I can put the programs on a CD, then I'll have them ready when I am..... If I get that far.
    Thanks for the tip anyway. If you have other ideas I'm always glad to listen and maybe give it a try.

4. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

If the programs run from a 3½" disk then they'll work from a CD. Better yet, why not just copy them to your hard drive?

5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I found it easier to put the programs on a USB stick. Quite a few computers don't have optical drives (two of our four Windows 7 computers don't).

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It somewhat depends on which version of win7; 32bit or 64bit. Just about any program that is on a floppy is going to be 16bit [which may run on win7 32bit] It will not run on win7 64bit.

Do understand that even if you have the 32bit ver, there may still be issues. I run two very old games [UT2004 and UT3] on win10 64bit. They work however I do have to massage some of the .ini files to make it work.

If you do have the 64bit ver of win7, there are still some options; running a virtual machine ie XP or whatever on your win7 machine. If these are old DOS programs, another option would be something like DOS Box.

7. bigsooner

bigsooner Thread Starter

Thanks guys (no gender intended) for all the help. Looks as if I can put this to sl

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222010

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice