1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

3.5 drive won't read any disks.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hkeithj1218, Feb 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hkeithj1218

hkeithj1218 Thread Starter

My 3.5" floppy stopped reading disks. I checked the disks and they are good, they are read fine on another computer. I checked the BIOS and its fine. The ribbon and power cord are connected correctly and securely. I've even replaced the drvie with a new drive. And still it won't read the disks. The drive is recognized and there are no IRQ conflicts. Could it be the ribbon? Or is there something else more obviouse that I'm missing?? HELP ME.

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

1) what happens when you try?...any error messages?

2) what operating system are you using?

3) does the drive flash briefly during boot so you know its detected?

3. hkeithj1218

hkeithj1218 Thread Starter

Yes the light flashes briefly on startup. I'm using windows ME. And the only error message is:

A:/ is not accessible.
    The system cannot read from the specified device.

:eek:

4. JoyousMonkey

JoyousMonkey

Hi.

What happens if you try booting from a WinME or Win98 startup floppy ? If the computer won't boot from a startup floppy I'd consider the ribbon or floppy disk drive controller ( which usually means motherboard ).

If it DOES boot from a startup floppy then it's likely there's something up with Windows itself.

Best regards,
    Joyous Monkey

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118386

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice