1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

3.5" Floppy Installation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Briteyes, Jan 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Briteyes

Briteyes Thread Starter

I'm installing a floppy into a computer I'm building for my daughter. Its a K6-2 300.

When I install the 3.5" floppy, then turn the computer on, the floppy light stays green continuously, but it won't read floppies. The hard drive is also new. I can't boot unless I have the 3.5" working properly.

Help?

Linda

2. brianF

brianF

Usually the light staying on means you have the cable on backwards.

Redstripe to pin 1 on both motherboard and drive. Usually they are marked. Look close. Drive maybe notched

3. Briteyes

Briteyes Thread Starter

I checked that. Everything's connected right. I even tried using a different cable and a different electric connection.

Now when I try to boot, nothing at all happens. Its like I have a dead drive.

L

4. brianF

brianF

Guess it's a good time to try a different drive and see if the drive is bad. Or try the bad drive on another machine.

Got one the other day, doa when it got here

5. Briteyes

Briteyes Thread Starter

I took the drive from my machine. I can't get it to work. It does the same thing.

L

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Do you have the drive attached at the end after the twist?
    The power connector is connected correctly? They can be forced upside down.
    Gray cable is connected going the right direction into the motherboard?
    Also, in the bios setup, you've got the floppy controller ENABLED?

You might also try disconnecting the hard drive until you get the floppy to respond correctly.

7. Briteyes

Briteyes Thread Starter

Check, Check and double check. Still no good. I can't get into the bios because I can't get it to boot up. The hard drive isn't formated.

L

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Are you saying you get no information scrolling on the screen, no post code beeps, nothing?

The bios is accessed BEFORE the computer boots up....there is a key, usually DEL on most machines, F 10 on Compaqs, F 1 or F 2 on others.....there are settings there that must be changed before the computer is going to recognize you have a hard drive or a floppy drive for that matter.

9. Briteyes

Briteyes Thread Starter

Well, now. That was fun. My own computer power supply went out in the middle of this fiasco. I just got it back. While I was at it, I took the K6-2 in also. They determined that I had a bad video card. I'll get it back tomorrow.

Thanks for your help. It was appreciated.

Linda

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66971

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice