3.5 floppys

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Del Roy

I have acquired a bunch of 3.5 floppies, that originate from an older Omega pc, ten years or so ago......my pc will not read them. After using the Norton System 2002 to analyze the problem, a window told me, that the floppys were wrote @ 2.88MB, and that my windows 98 reads and writes at 1.44MB.....what program can I d/l to convert the floppy so it can be read by my present pc ???

Max19

Account Disabled
Put one of the disks in the drive. Then open My Computer, right click on the A:\ drive and choose format. Select the option to perform a full format, not just the Quick Erase. I think that should return them to 1.44MB format.

Del Roy

I tried several of the floppys, as per your recommendation, but each time I click of the A drive, and follow the commands for formatting........a window tells me the disk cannot be formatted.....incidentally....... isn't 'formatting' equal to "erasing", or am I wrong on that??? There are almost 40 floppies here, and the pc will not read any of them, and none of them can be formatted. Is there any sort of "converter program" that I may d/l say from ZD.Net, that would make the floppys readable???

Unless your BIOS supports, and you physically have a 2.88MB drive in your PC there is nothing you can do about it. Try and format it from DOS.... Format A: /F:1.44 /T:80

If that doesn't work, FDISK it and then do an Format A:

Max19

Account Disabled
A full format is not the same thing as erasing. That's why I told you to select the option for a full format and not a Quick Erase. It's possible to take an Apple Macintosh diskette and format it to work in a PC. That not only erases the data, but it also puts it in a format that is readable on a PC.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts