1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

3.5mm combo jack with adapter issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dopa, Jul 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dopa

Dopa Thread Starter

I bought a 3.5mm combo jack headset and in order to use it on my pc that has no combo jacks i bought a female to male adapter that splits my 1 input jack into 2 jacks. However when i plug it into my pc i have perfect sound but no microphone, looking at sound settings and testing in skype it seems as though the computer sees both the headset and microphone as playback devices rather than seeing the microphone as a recording one. The sound levels rise on both, whenever playing something, equally and in the same time but when i speak nothing happens.

2. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    That's because you cant use an output jack as an input. THE ORIGINAL device is just for output

3. Dopa

Dopa Thread Starter

But i am simply using an adapter like this one for example : https://www.amazon.com/SF-Cable-Female-Stereo-Splitter/dp/B0016LDZ36
    Is it simply worthless effort to use such an adapter to split my 3.5mm combo jack into separate microphone and audio jacks?

4. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Your laptop has ONE GREEN OUTPUT port, Correct?

5. Dopa

Dopa Thread Starter

Yes, one green one pink, im using a desktop not a laptop however. I use this adapter to put the microphone jack into the sound output( green ) slot and same thing for the pink ( microphone )

6. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    ahh ok. That's what I was trying to clarify. I would think adapter might be bad....can you return/exchange it for a different one?

7. Dopa

Dopa Thread Starter

Indeed i will try that tomorrow as all stores are closed right now. But i was wondering if the issue might be from the software side since the computer does detect the microphone and the audio output, but when looking at control panel > sound even though microphone shows at the recording tab and the headset output at the playback tab, they both show same sound levels ( green bars ) whenever i play something on my computer, it seems weird and ive never had anything like this happen before so it made me wonder.

8. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    I would still swap it out. If you STILL have issues afterwards, then we may need to look at some other settings.

9. Dopa

Dopa Thread Starter

In that case thank you very much for helping me with this. Spent alot of time narrowing things down as to what could possibly be the issue, but i suppose youre right, i should just swap the adapter first and then ask questions. Thank you very much.

metallica5456 likes this.
  10. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    No problem. And it very well may be something else. BUT , based on the evidence, it's , imo, the best place to start.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1192956

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice