1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

3.5mm speaker cord problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Samus27, Apr 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Samus27

Samus27 Thread Starter

So I have a 2.1 setup of really rather nice speakers that are functional, very loud, very high-quality. However, the 3.5 mm standard audio cord, the tip of it has shoddy wiring and I have to tweak it to get the circuit to connect.

I know that with standard ethernet cables- RJ45, CAT5s, etc, you can snip the end off and crimp it to add a new tip when the old one is dysfunctional, or to rearrange the wires to change the type of cable it is....

Can a similar thing be done to a standard 3.5 mm audio cord? Can I snip the end off of it and reattach a new tip on the end of it with some tool or other?

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    You can not replace part of the plug but you can definitely buy the entire plug. Most, if not all, require some careful soldering to three terminal points.

Soldering requires stripping the wires inside the cable. Some cables that are designed to be extra flexible may have very fine copper wires interwoven with plastic fibers and require more work to get a reliable connection.

If it is a cord with plugs at both ends, you may find that it is easier to replace, than to attempt a repair.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Replacements for all of that type of connector can be bought at Radio Shack or similar. The soldering can get difficult and is best done by someone who has done a lot of it in small places before.

As mentioned (by someone who clearly has had the headaches that these things can cause), the plastic fibers may need to be separated out and removed before soldering, and only copper (or steel) is solderable, not aluminum wires.

4. Samus27

Samus27 Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

The cord unfortunately doesn't have a plug at both ends. Go figure. The speaker end of the cord is permanently fixed into the speaker itself, otherwise I would have just replaced it long ago.

My plan is to snip the end off of the cable attached to the speakers, and use a new plug I got at radioshack, snip an end off of that one, strip back the plastic from both ends of each, and solder them together. Sound like it would work?

5. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    It would be a matter of how easy it is to strip the three wires of each piece down to just metal.

You also need to make sure you pair them up correctly.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917764

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice