1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

3 Beep Motherboard (Ameritrends)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CB4, Mar 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CB4

CB4 Thread Starter

Okay, So, I get a frantic call from my mother at like 1am saying Windows is spitting out all these error messages and she "HAS" to get her email. So, I go over (yes, at 1:30a), and see all these error messages, so I reboot it and I hear 3 beeps (before the monitor comers on). I let it go and Windows doesn't boot, just sits at a black screen forever... Turns out, she's been impatient and continually hitting the power button if Windows didn't boot fast enough.... I get it to finally get into Windows, and saw "Write Delay Error to H:\" in the corner. I reboot, 3 beeps again, get into Windows, does it again. Then I Powered off. So, I disconnected all the Drives other than 1 dvd and the Windows hard drive. 3 Beeps. I power off again, remove a Ram chip, power on, 3 beeps. Remove a 2nd. 3 Beeps. Remove 3rd...Nothing. No Ram, No Beeps No Post. I (securely) Put a chip back in, turn it on, 3 beeps. Swapped it to another chip, same thing. Removed video card and swapped it with my gf's ... Same deal, 3 Beeps. Removed all PCI devices, powered up, 3 Beeps. Removed battery, re-inserted, 3 Beeps... So, to me, either the Ram chips are dead, or something poached the ram slots themselves... Anyone else have any ideas whatsoever? Right now, the system is running, with the 3-beep errors, it detects all the Ram and does boot into Windows...

Side note: What the fudge was ATI thinking with those stupid square adapters for their video cards? (you know - 10 years ago, which is still in her system) =)

System Summary:

AMD 64 3000+
    Windows XP
    2GB RAM
    ASUS A8V AI series VIA K8T800pro+

2. lawson_jl

lawson_jl

A quick bit of googling lead me to this on the American Megatrends website.

Explanation: There is a failure of some sort within the first 64 KB of system memory.
    Diagnosis: The first bank of memory probably has a bad memory chip in it somewhere. It is possible that there is a failure related to the motherboard or a system device as well.

3. CB4

CB4 Thread Starter

I saw that, but I guess my issue is, 3 different chips do it, and doesn't do it without RAM in it at all, but it doesn't post for crap after that. I guess in theory, either all my Ram is pooched, or all the slots are pooched.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913437

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice