1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

3 Button Emulation for Windows?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by kbranch, Jan 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kbranch

kbranch Thread Starter

I was wondering if there was anything like the 3 button emulation I've gotten so used to in Linux available for Windows. For those of you who aren't familiar with it, it effectively adds a third button to a two button mouse by sending a middle click when you press both buttons at once. I've become quite dependent on it after spending so much time in Linux, so any help would be much appreciated.

Getting a mouse with 3 buttons isn't an option for me since I have a laptop and don't want to haul a mouse around everywhere.

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Dave Trusted Advisor

I think Logitech Mouseware does that. I can't be absolutely certain cause mine all have three, but I seem to remember it used to.

3. johnni

johnni

I have just acquired a second PC running XP Pro and it came with a 3-button mouse. Quite frankly I am at a loss to know what to do with the centre button (I wish it had a scroll wheel instead). Can you enlighten me?

johnni

4. TOGG

TOGG

My Logitech mouse has three buttons and the middle one does doubleclicks if pressed once.

It might be able to do other things, but I haven't attempted to find out what (if anything).

5. ChuckE

ChuckE

A third button, or actually any button, can be programmed to perform just about any task you may want IF YOU have the correct driver. If your driver doesn't give you the option then some other party software can probably give you want you want.

Googling for "third button" mouse freeware
    I found:
    I am sure there are others.

6. kbranch

kbranch Thread Starter

I guess I don't use it for much of anything other than Firefox, but it's still very useful. In Firefox, the middle button will open the link under the cursor in a new tab instead of whatever it wants to do by default. It will also close a tab if you middle click on it.

Most apps will also use it to scroll, middle click once and it'll scroll up if you move the mouse above where you clicked and down if you move below.

I installed MouseWare, but I didn't see anything about 3 button emulation. It has options to change what each button does, but no emulation.

7. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Dave Trusted Advisor

Was it a two button mouse you were using?

8. kbranch

kbranch Thread Starter

Well, it has the two normal buttons and two scroll buttons. It's missing the button that would normally be under the scroll wheel.

9. johnni

johnni

I have experimented and I find that in Word and Excel the middle button can be used to scroll, so I am pleased to have found that out!

johnni

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/319825