1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

3 different "Program Files" noted under C-drive,why?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by s246, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. s246

s246 Thread Starter

When I go to start, click on "computer" then click on "C" drive I notice that there are 3 different program files, labelled slightly differently: "Program Files", "Program Files (x86)" & "PROGRAM FILES (X86) (X86)".

The file labelled: "PROGRAM FILES (X86) (X86)"
    when I click on it, it has 1 file labelled "Dell V310-V510 Series", I no longer have that printer but when I try to delete the file I get a message of: "this action can't be completed because the file or a folder is open in another program". The only thing I can think of is that there is 1 folder labelled "wireless", can I move that file to the "Program Files (x86)" folder without confusing my system as I do use this laptop for wireless printing & internet service? I do not see any other file that looks like it might be used with another program.

Do I need to have both a "Program Files", "Program Files (x86)"? Can I not move all the files from one into the other? If not, please enlighten me as to why both Program Files must be kept.
    Thank any & all in advance that are willing to educate/advise me about this issue.

--Susie

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You probably have a 64-bit system, and Program Files contains the 64-bit programs while Program files (X86) contain the 32-bit programs. This is normal and you do not want to mess with these folders.

I have no idea about that third folder.

3. s246

s246 Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085822

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice