1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

3 drives in 3 months?!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by weeGeordie, Feb 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. weeGeordie

weeGeordie Thread Starter

My sons sister in-law took her laptop back to the store she bought it from for repair. They said the HDD was bad. The first replacement drive they installed didn't work. They tried another and it worked.....for a while. She has brought it to me out of frustration and it looks like the drive is bad!

It is an Acer laptop. The first time I looked at it the BIOS did not have an HDD listed. I tried Alt-F10 at boot and then the BIOS started to see the drive. When Windows tries to start it says the C: drive needs to be checked and it begins CHKDSK. It fails with "An unspecified error occurred (............ dee).

Could this be a motherboard failure rather than the HDD? 3 drives failing in the space of a few months seems suspicious to me.

Thanks

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Pull the drive, connect to a different PC, and test the drive.

That's the only way to know for sure if it's a HDD or PC issue.

3. raybro

raybro

It's an unfortunate thing, but its common practice to replace failed new hardware with "Refurbished" equipment. Hard to believe they would do it with a hard drive and this may or may not be the case in this instance, but it's certainly worth asking the question of the retailer that sold the computer.

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    I should also point out that if it's under warranty, she should let them fix it. And many stores/companies have a "lemon" policy. Might be worth looking into.

5. weeGeordie

Their 'warranty' is good for one visit only. she used that when they put the last drive in.

6. raybro

raybro

I doubt there is any problem beyond the hard drive itself. They are pretty cheap right now. I'd bite the bullet and purchase a good reliable brand name drive. I've been using Western Digital drives for many years with almost no problems at all. The Caviar Black series is the better of the brand (more reliable and a bit tougher) While the Caviar Blue is something of a standard and costs less. Both are good drives. Be sure you get a drive of adequate capacity.

WD also has a free program you can download that will clone you current drive to a new one (assuming your current drive is operational).

Before doing anything, it would be prudent to follow Oddba11's suggestion in post #2 and try the drive in another computer. Just connect it via USB (there are a number of alternatives to doing so) and see if it is recognized and accessible.

7. weeGeordie

I find it interesting that the brand of drive the company installed is not a brand that they sell.

I will connect the failing drive to another system and, if it works, i will invest in a name brand drive and try the WD utility to clone the drive.

Thanks for your help.

8. raybro

raybro

Not sure if it's a typo or miscommunication... If you connect the drive to another computer and it works, then the problem may not be with the drive. Such a result would imply further investigation is needed.

BTW... Be advised, in order to use the WD Acronis Program, one must have at least 1 WD drive connected to the computer.

9. Rearden

Rearden Banned

If she bought the laptop new, it most likely came with a 1-year warranty. The store, though, may only provide warranty service for the first 30, 60, or 90 days. The drive was probably replaced with one from Acer if the laptop is under warranty. The store wouldn't necessarily use a drive off the shelf from their store.

Only a few companies still make hard drives. What brand is it that it's one you don't recognize?

10. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Sounds like a store that I would no longer visit.

And the "warranty" is likely a store policy. According to your information, it's an Acer computer and thus the warranty is covered by Acer. So any certified Acer repair center can be used for the Acer warranty.

If you open it up, it may void the warranty. So check/verify the warranty before you proceed.

11. weeGeordie

The drive is a Toshiba.

I tried connecting it to another laptop but the driver failed to load.

12. Simba7

Simba7

13. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    I would still verify if the manufacturer warranty is still valid. In which case, they should replace the drive. And it's entirely possible that the drives are not the fault. They could be failing from another fault within the laptop. All of which can and should be tested by a repair center if still under warranty.

14. weeGeordie

So if we put a new hard drive in it wat happens with the software? Any chance we can install all the stuff that was paid for on the old drive?

15. Simba7

Simba7

Yep. It's still legal if you reinstall software onto the new drive in the same system.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087942

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice