1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

3 External Displays, 1 Primary, 2 Extended

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zmagic98, Apr 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zmagic98

zmagic98 Thread Starter

Hello all,

What I am exactly trying to do is this: for an outdoor football tournament, I am trying to connect 3 external displays to my laptop (2 VGA monitors and 1 HDTV with HDMI). Since I cannot see my laptop screen in the sun, I am using one VGA monitor as the primary display (since it's brighter). Then, I am extending my desktop to the other VGA monitor and the HDTV.

The one VGA monitor (4:3 ratio) will be my primary display with the control screen for the scoreboard.
    The 2nd VGA monitor (4:3 ratio) will be an extended desktop for me to show the play clock.
    The HDTV with HDMI connection (16:9 ratio) will be an extended desktop and have the actual scoreboard on it.

I am using a HP G60 laptop (2009 I think) with 1 VGA out and 1 HDMI out. Below are my specifications. I don't have very much money to use for this, so cheap/free alternatives would be best. Thanks for the help in advance!

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4200 @ 2.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2975 Mb
    Graphics Card: VNC Mirror Driver, 3 Mb (Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family)
    Motherboard: Wistron, 3612

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    The laptop isn't likely able to drive 3 screens, not too mention only having two outputs. Your only alternative would likely be an external video card. I've not used any, so I can't make any recommendations.

3. zmagic98

zmagic98 Thread Starter

Thanks. What type of external video card would I need? A VGA one I would assume?

4. zmagic98

zmagic98 Thread Starter

Could I just get a USB to VGA converter? Would that work? Would I still be able to use one monitor as the primary, and extend to the other monitor and HDTV?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1124049

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice