1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

3 Generic XP Pro Questions....

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ChuckJP, Feb 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ChuckJP

ChuckJP Thread Starter

I just reformatted my HD and reinstalled XP Pro.

1) When I go to power down or reboot, I have to select it twice. The first time, a few items shut down, but not completely. I have to hit shut downor reboot a second time before it exits XP.

In addition, if I choose to shut down, it does not power down when it exits XP. As soon as it exits XP, it boots back up. If I want to power down, I have to time it right to when XP exits and turn off the power on the power strip. Is this a BIOS selection? I just want to be able to exit XP and power down by selection the shut down option.

2) I know I can access my favorites by either the Favorites on the address bar ( next to the star ) or by the top bar ( File, Edit, View, Favorites, etc. ). I used to have my frequently visited sites listed when using the top bar. Now it shows all of the sites just like the address bar does. How do I change that? I know XP has to recognize my frequently visited sites, but I have been up and running for a week and it still shows all of my favorites.

3) How can I remove unwanted apps from loading at startup? I cannot figure out how to remove them through the program configuration and don't want to keep shutting them down manually by selecting them on the task bar and shutting them down.

2. SemmySweet

SemmySweet

ChuckJP,
    I can only definatively answer question 3. You can use msconfig to get rid of your unwanted programs. But be sure to not uncheck any programs you can not readily identify. You can access this from Start/ Run and type in msconfig. I hope this helps. I'm still trying to research the other two for you.

3. Jtoast

Jtoast

for option 1.

1) vscan your system

2) run a program such as spybot or adaware to get rid of spyware programs running in the background.

3) do as prev suggested and clean your start menu via msconfig.

this will probably fix problem one as it is most likely a rogue application holding back your shutdown attempt.

this may also help with the shutdown/restart problem.

4. Tushman

Tushman Banned

Jtoast, your answer is quite amusing. You gave the exact same advice to someone else that is having intermitten shut downs. I wouldn't necessarily offer a virus scan just for a shut down problem. To me it just doesn't sound like the type of problem a virus could cause. If a virus (intended for such a specfic purpose) wanted to do harm, the virus maker would have designed it so that you couldn't boot up or shut down at all.

I would start diagnosing by when the problem started occuring. i.e. was it after a SP was installed? after a hardware component was installed? In your BIOS menu, do you have PnP OS set to Yes?

5. ChuckJP

ChuckJP Thread Starter

Unfortunately, I've narrowed it to when I added an additional 512mb stick of RAM. It's the same speed ( PC2700 ) as the 2 sticks of 256. It's all Crucial too. Any combination of RAM that includes the 512 causes my system to become unstable and reboot itself without warning. If I take out the 512 stick, it seems to run fine. I returned the first 512 I received to Crucial, thinking it was a bad stick. Unfortunately, the replacement stick is doing the exact same thing. I know the manual says that I can use any combination of sizes, as long as it is the same speed.

I'm completely stumped.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It could be a problem with your motherboard, or perhaps some BIOS settings for the RAM timing.

7. buck52

buck52 Banned

Howdy

How about the 512 by itself?

buck

8. ChuckJP

ChuckJP Thread Starter

Johnwill - I hope not. I just bought the mobo/cpu combo and it was supposedly pretested. All has run fine until I added the 512.

Busk52 - Tried every combination of sticks using the 2 256's and the 512, eventrying different slots. If i have one or two 256's in, it works OK. If I have any combination that includes the 512, or the 512 by itself, it reboots itself.

Thanks guys, I'm still looking for a solution. I really don't want to return the 512, I really don't know if I happened to get two bad 512's from Crucial or it is a problem with my system. Very odd and frustrating. I read something about ithe mobo possibly shutting itself down because it gets too hot due to an improper heatsink installation. Hope that's not it and I wonder why it only happens with the 512 installed.

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It's possible that the 512mb is registered RAM, and the MB timing isn't right for it's use. In any case, I'm not sure why you'd be adding memory beyond 512mb, there aren't a lot of applications that will benefit from it.

10. ChuckJP

ChuckJP Thread Starter

I'm not familiar with "registered RAM". All of the RAM is PC2700, and I've been told I can mix sizes as long as I keep the same speed. The manual seems to support this, although it is confusing. If you care to elaborate, I'd be appreciative. I believe the BIOS is set to auto detect the RAM speed, but I will check.

I've also been told if you have multiple apps open at one time ( as I usually do ), you can never have too much RAM. I saw how inexpensive the 512 was from Crucial and bit.

11. Tushman

Tushman Banned

Johnwill perhaps you're thinking of Win98. W2K and Win XP will absolutely thrive on more RAM. It's not a matter of whether the software can use it or not - his overall performance will indeed improve and will allow for memory hungry apps like Photoshop to run more efficiently.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118619

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice