1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

3 hard drives and one error message

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gmovol, Nov 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gmovol

gmovol Thread Starter

i installed prim master fujitsu3.4gbytes, primslave wdigital 2.55gb, secmaster quantum6.4gb, and secslave cdrom. the fujitsu hard drive has windows xp clean installation and was working perfectly on other pc, until i transplanted it with the other hdrives.
    i can acess the bios where i configured the drives parameters, boot secuence, etc. the post detects the three drives and their capacity, and then shows this message:
    hard disk(s) failure (80) i then press f1 to continue, and get the following message:
    disk boot failure. insert system disk and press enter.

i wellcome any suggestions to find the cause of this problem?

bye and thanks.

2. Cosmic

Cosmic

You really can't.

One possible test is leave the PC powered up over night or even for several days. Reset the BIOS settings. Immediately try to fire up. If the battery is just at the fail point, it can work for one last time. Sort of a proof battery is failing.

Or you can bite the bullet and just replace the battery and go from there. If you are planning on keeping the PC, probably due for it anyway.

3. gmovol

gmovol Thread Starter

so, do i have to write down all the bios settings? and then replace the battery?

4. Cosmic

Cosmic

There used to be programs to save them out. I have it for DOS. Must be the same for windows. Probably too late in your case. Tho you could try to do it via the system disk. Still would need the program.

Yes, I would say if you feel safer, jot them down with a pen and paper, do the battery and restore the settings, test and see if that solves the problem. Talking small money.

Be a good thing to find maybe a more up to date CMOS saving program. The DOS versions works by saving to disk a configuration file. You have a menu, can save it out to disk, can check if it has changed, can restore to the saved configuration. Worked by replacing battery, set to default, fire up PC, run restore routine. Just automated the process and you didn't have to remember anything. Maybe I should try it and see if it works on the more modern machines. Guess it still should.

5. gmovol

gmovol Thread Starter

so,after i change the battery,can i set the default settings of the bios, and which ones are these? do this matters at all?
    and about the disk(s) failure (80) message, can someone give me advice or sugestions?

6. Cosmic

Cosmic

You can forget the battery for a while if the BIOS appears to be normal. How old is this battery and system it was transferred to???

Did this ever boot successfully back in the old system or is this the first attempt? Might want to also recheck the master / slave settings. Is this the same exact configuration as it was taken out. Or even just put in Drive C and see if it will boot with just the one drive. Or does that also give the same message?

You can do what it wants and put the system disk and see how that goes. Said this is XP. Never know what it will do on a major hardware reconfiguration.

Would try at this point to simplify the amount of hardware. See if it is the hard drive or in the OS. If the test try fails can even swap drive C back to the old system and see if it will boot there.

7. gmovol

gmovol Thread Starter

i thank you. your advice helps a lot. tomorrow i will check the jumpers, and isolate the hdrive that has the c:\\ windows xp. this drive booted well 4 or 5 times in the other pc. the system and its battery date from 1995. and i'll put the system disk, as it asks for it. i'll read on the battery, and go to www.resource800.com. i thank you all and see you tomorrow, when i'll have results on the tests.

any other sugestions are wellcome in this thread.
    bye and thankyou.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/296893

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice