1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

3 Hard Drives? (SATA and IDE)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CreamCow, Sep 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CreamCow

CreamCow Thread Starter

So I got a new hard drive for my new computer that is a SATA drive. My old two are IDE. I was wondering if it would be ok to put my IDE HD's in as slaves and leave my SATA HD in as the master... thoughts?

Also, if this were to work, how would I set up the IDE ones? Windows is on my 40 gig and my 80 gig has all of my games and stuff on it. I need to access both. Would I set both jumpers to slave and then just pick one to be on the end of the ribbon cable?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Sure, or kind of. Not sure if I understand your question correctly.

The IDE drives need to retain their Master and Slave jumper settings. SATA drives do not use Master or Slave settings and doesn't care how any other drives are configured in the system.

What you need to do is in the BIOS change the hard disk priority from the IDE drives to the SATA drive if you want to use the SATA drive as the main drive, it should be where you set the boot order. but that'll also mean you need to install Windows on it. If you just want to use the new drive as storage then do nothing other then partition and format it through Disk Management in Windows.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Are you going to clean install windows on the drive or are you going to clone your existing drive? There are some steps to go through if you are going to clone your existing drive. Post back with exactly what you are trying to accomplish.

4. bigbear

bigbear

You can clone the old drive to the new drive using Acronis True Image.
    This will avoid the need to reinstall everything

5. CreamCow

CreamCow Thread Starter

never got around to responding to this thread... here's what I'm trying to do...

I have my computer currently running with one SATA HD. It's got Windows installed and is running fine. I simply want to access my old drives to get some data off of them.

Should I go into bios and set my SATA drive as the primary, then the old master drive (set to master w/ jumper) would be my second drive plugged into the higher part of the ribbon cable, then have my 3rd drive set as slave and have that on the second spot on the ribbon cable.

Does that make sense?

6. bigbear

bigbear

You dont need to do anything with your boot drive ( sata)
    Just connect the rest as you discribed, should work ok
    Depending on you mobo, you might have to enable the pata controller in bios if they are not recognized

7. CreamCow

CreamCow Thread Starter

what's pata?

8. bigbear

bigbear

Parallel ata or IDE, same thing, it will show as PATA if you have it.
    Hook up the drives and see if bios recognizes them

9. BratDawg

BratDawg

First Name:
    Carla
    Um, don't SATA drives have a different type of cable connection? Does your motherboard support both connections? I have only run across them in my new dell, and haven't tried mixing them on the same computer - yet. Didn't even think it was possible.

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

This computer I'm using has two SATA drives in a RAID-0 array, and two PATA drives as backup and storage. So, it's obviously possible. ;)

11. CreamCow

CreamCow Thread Starter

Sorry to bring up a dead thread here, but it's a continuation, so I thought, why start a new one?

I finally got around to trying this all out. I can't get the IDE drives to be recognized by the mobo. I've got the ribbon cable plugged in to all 3 (mobo, master, slave) and the two hard drives don't appear in windows or in the bios. Any ideas?

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    And you're sure you've got the jumpers on each drive set right? What if you try one drive at a time? Or a new/different IDE cable?

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Are you sure the ide you have connected the drives to is enabled in the bios?

One other thought. Some boards come with an extra ide connection that is controlled by a separate controller ie promise, sil, etc. Make sure you have your drives connected to ide1 on the board.

14. CreamCow

CreamCow Thread Starter

I plugged the one HD that was set to master to the master part of the cable and the other to the one that has slave jumper set to slave.

I can try one at a time, I guess. I only need some information off of the one drive, the other I'd like to have running.

I'm not sure how to enable them in the bios if they're not recognized... how would I go about doing that?

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Each ide should be set to auto. Enter the bios and check. You might want to read your manual about bios settings since each bios is a little different in HOW things are done.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/505704

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice