1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

3 Long Beeps - Ram?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by adblink182, Jul 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. adblink182

adblink182 Thread Starter

Doesnt make any sense. There was 2 sticks in this system. Pull out one stick of ram and replaced it with another. Pressed the power button, no beeps but nothing on the monitor. Pulled that stick back out and put back the original one. Pulled the second stick and replaced it with another, now as soon as you hit the power button, it instantly gives off 3 long beeps and thats it, nothing on the monitor

i have 5 sticks of ram sitting here, 3 of them i know 100% work, and no matter what dimm slot i stick it in (three total) or what order they go in, nothing. Just 3 long beeps and fans spinning

I cant see any damaged parts on the mobo, capacitors etc....argh

the agp video card was slighty hit, this wouldnt be a video card problem would it?

ideas?

2. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I doubt if this would be the video card. That is usually one long beep, usually.

I think maybe if you put the two back into the machine that were in it when it was working, and then reset the CMOS you might boot back up.

3. adblink182

is resetting the cmos a standard procedure across all motherboards? I did it awhile ago, I think it involved pulling the battery and moving a jumper around for a set number of seconds. I will google the steps

4. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

It should be about the same. Usually you will find three pins next to the battery. You would move the jumper from left to right and then back again.

5. adblink182

well no idea if I did the reset properly, but it did abolsulty nothing

I pulled all ide drives, pulled all PCI devices, still nothing!

if I have to sit there and listen to those 3 beeps any longer I think i will kill myself. what pisses me off the most is that it just doesnt make any sense what the hell is happening

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482730

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice