1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

3 Monitor setup for Dell Optiplex 7010

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by TSweeney, Apr 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TSweeney

TSweeney Thread Starter

Hello - I am new to this forum and created an account simply to post these directions on how to get 3 monitors working on a Dell Optiplex 7010. I spent hours and hours trying to get my displays working (spent $750 on 3 Dell P2719H monitors and could only get 2 working at a time)... Hoping that if someone else has this issue that they will be able to use this "guide" to resolve their issue. There is another post on these forums where a guy went through the same steps I went though - and got the monitors working - however, he did not post a link to the "Intel HD Graphics" driver that he used to resolve the issue. I have included the final post he made in the body of this message.

PC = Dell Optiplex 7010 - Windows 10 Enterprise build 1703 (these steps will work with windows 7 as well - I am not sure about windows 8.)
    Processor = Intel Core i5-3570S @ 3.10ghz
    GPU = Intel HD 2500.
    Monitors = Dell P2719H x 3 with 2 connected via Display Port & 1 VGA

If you read the message below from the previous poster - you will see that Dell and Intel both told this guy that there was no way that he could connected 3 monitors simultaneously with the setup mentioned above - however, I can confirm - this DOES work if you install the driver listed in the link below:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...phics-Driver-for-Windows-15-33-?product=81501
    1. You will need to download the .zip file from the link provided above this text for your operating system - MAKE SURE YOU CHOOSE THE RIGHT ONE, EITHER 32 BIT OR 64BIT. Use the link above.
    2. Then you will extract the file to your desktop (someone easily navigable)
    3. Once you have the file downloaded and extracted to a folder - read the "installation readme" file. I will also post the instructions below - I have edited them to help explain the what/how - and I have put the edited instructions in bold print.
    Microsoft Windows* "Have Disk" Installation

------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Click "Start", right-click "Computer", and click "Properties".

2. Open "Device Manager" and select "Display Adapters".

3. Right click on the device listed under "Display Adapters" and select ‘Update Driver’.

4. Select "Browse my computer for driver software".

5. Select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".

6. Click on "Have Disk".

7. Click on “browse" and go to your folder that you just unzipped to the desktop

8. Select the "igdlh64.inf file in the "Graphics" folder of the file you just unzipped.

9. Click the "Next" button and wait until the driver gets installed to get a message

"Windows has successfully updated your driver software’.

You should be good to go at this point.

Previous guy's message:

Ok, so my set up can indeed support 3 displays! I figured it out today and got all three display on, extended and at recommended resolutions. So, the path that I took to figuring this out was by installing a tool called Speccy. This tool provides a pretty straightforward interface and design. It scans your PC and gives you details on all of your various components, etc., including your motherboard. So, once I figured out the exact model number of my motherboard (it's a dell manufactured board), I set out on two weeks of research.

The first thing I checked was Dell's own support website. Of course, they all say that it is not possible to run a 3 display setup.

Next I went and dug really deep into Intel's support pages. It is there that I kept stumbling onto support articles from Intel that would say my configuration could handle this setup, however still a no Bueno. I kept trying different configurations etc. I was making no headway, none. I stumbled upon an article from one of the engineers that had a lot of input into the overall design/programming of the Intel chipsets that are in the Dell OptiPlex 7010's with the HD 4000/2500 integrated cards.

In the article he states that it was in fact designed to support 3 displays from the get go, Dell for some reason does not want their customers to have a triple display. This person, or a person in the comments, I can't remember which exactly, had mentioned that the Intel Graphics Manager program that comes with Intel drivers has a custom resolution setting that is critical in getting 3 displays to work. I go to doing more digging, funny enough, almost every article on the internet on this subject has Dell customers who do not have this feature & can also not get anymore than 2 displays with integrated graphics. Hmmm

So, for ****'s and giggles, I went back to both Intel & Dell's respective support sites, and this is where it all clicked. Dell says Intel has decided that the custom resolution settings were not needed or some such nonsense. Intel claimed otherwise. Intel says that I would just have to roll back my driver to an earlier version and I would have access to the setting, no Bueno there either. At this point (earlier today), I was ready to bang my head against the wall. Somehow, someway I got the idea to just manually look back through some forum posts I was reading through earlier in my research and I finally figured it out. So, when you go into device manage and check your device driver, it should show this: [​IMG]

Notice how it just says Intel(R) HD Graphics? It does not mention 2500 (which is my actual gpu), a user had made mention that this driver is not the "natural" Intel version of this GPU's driver. It was in fact Dell's version with some pretty obvious bias towards triple displays. When I actually went to install the "pure" Intel driver, the system asked me if I wanted to use the Intel driver or Microsoft's (Generic Display Driver). Well, duh, I want to use the Intel driver. Not so fast it would seem :(

I received an error message saying that my PC Manager says that this genuine driver will not work with my system, you know, it's not compatible. At this point, I was seriously going to just give up and accept that my workstation was only going to run on 2 meager monitors. But alas, for some reason unbeknownst to me, I decided to look through the driver download list. I noticed the driver in question was on there twice, cool this warrants another look as just looking at the links and brief descriptions did not really explain why there was two of them. I clicked on the other link and it was a .zip & not a .exe. Awesome, instantly I knew that I was given one last try to get this working. Obviously, the first driver was a .exe.

So, I download the .zip, unzip it into it's own nice little folder, easy for me to find. I go the device manager route to try and manually update the driver. Ok, so here we are.... I click on update driver, browse for folder, select proper file etc... Ok, next button is install. Ok, I click install expecting to get the message it's not compatible etc.. Nope, it worked instantly. I got a notification of another display being detected!!! Awesome

For shits and giggles I open the intel driver panel doohickey, sure enough I see custom resolution option AND my third monitor showing up. So, I actually did not even need to use the custom resolution option, all 3 are at recommended resolution and working just fine.

So, the final configuration was displayport, displayport and vga. This came to a happy ending about 2 hours ago

Attached Files:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1226442

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice