1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

3 Monitors in last 5-6 months

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lonesome_wolf2000, Nov 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lonesome_wolf2000

lonesome_wolf2000 Thread Starter

One of my friends is having problems with monitors....

Apparently, the computer in question has went through 3 monitors and on its 4th one now, since May....

Anyone have any idea as to what would cause this?

All of the monitors haven't been brand new, but have not been used much either.

I instantly assumed a power issue... for the following reasons:

1.) He lives in very small area with very low quality power lines anyway

2.) The area we live in is known to have lots of power issues

3.) I took a look at the machine... when it first comes on, the power supply sounds like it buzzes, but then quits by the time it gets into windows..... this doesn't happen everytime, but sometimes.

The power supply is a 250 watt atx power supply.

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

has he tried a ups? might help if its power....pricey but cheaper than replacing monitors.

unless his monitor is plugged into his powersupply (dont recommend it with a 250W PS) the ps on the computer shouldnt be an issue.

EDIT:

what happens to the dead ones?...refuse to power up? etc

3. lonesome_wolf2000

hmm.......

i thought about the ups

what about the video card itself? could it be something with it?

4. Jtoast

Jtoast

Won't say its not possible but I've never seen/heard of a video card killing a monitor.

power surges kill monitors.....is he at least on a surge suppressor?

Is he setting his refresh rate too high for the monitors and burning them out?

again, what are the symptoms you see when they die.

EDIT:

a buzzing power supply is on its last legs also...he may want to replace that just as a precaution.

5. n2gun

n2gun

It almost has to be a power issue. UPS is the best solution and a lot cheaper than constantly replacing monitors. I would also look into replacing that power supply. It probably got hit too, ay the same time the monitor did.

6. videobruce

videobruce

Don't get those cheap $10 or $20 power strips with one MOV in them. They border on useless!
    You have to spend at least $50 if not closer to $80 or $100 for a decent surge/rf protector!

A UPS would do both and slove any brown-out problems you might have!

The refresh rate might be the only computer related issue, but not the P/S in the computer, that's another issue. I would replace that for other reasons!

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I would talk to the power company. I have high voltage at my house, it ranges from 126-130v.Unless it goes over 130v, the local utility won't do anything, but it's very hard on light bulbs and other stuff. Has he measured his power? I have a UPS on all the computers here, it give me surge supression and normal voltage, all in one shot. :)

8. chewie1012

chewie1012

Maybe this is a stupid question but did he try the monitor at someone elses house on someone elses computer? I have had a video card act like the monitor was bad before.

9. lonesome_wolf2000

sorry for the long wait....

here's an update:

I talked it over with him, and his is going to contact the electric company. He will also get the outlets and the wiring checked.. I recommended that he get a ups for safety.

Also, I had ordered an exact relpacement for the power supply in the machine. It was an AGI Power supply... model hp-250NLXAK (on another sticker i found: LE250NLXAK). When i ordered the part i got an exact replacement....

When the power supply came in, I unhooked, and unmounted the old one. Mounted the new one in, hooked up all the power connectors.

On the first attempt, the computer came on, the machine beeped, and then started blowing smoke out the power supply...

i quickly turned the computer off!... . . .

10. Lurker1

Lurker1

Was the switch on the back of the power supply set to 115 as it should be? If so I would definately have the house wiring checked out before hooking a UPS up to it.

11. lonesome_wolf2000

yep, the switch is set to 115...

12. lonesome_wolf2000

also

note that, when i hooked up the new power supply in the machine, the computer was not at the house in question, it was at my place..

13. Lurker1

Lurker1

Oh thats something else then. Its possible that they shipped you a defective power supply or that something else is shorted out. Check that the motherboard is not shorted to any misplaced standoffs, remove all the drives, addin boards, video, cables. ETC. Plug in a different (or try the same ps. Then add one component back at a time until you can see where the problem occurs.

Also check all the board for burnt components.

14. lonesome_wolf2000

after the smoke incident i had left the computer set........

out of curiousity, i fired it back up again, no smoke.....

no beep.....

comes up "like" normal.

ill check for the above mentioned by lurker1....

(i did notice that when i go to unhook the power supply cable from the motherboard in the top right corner..... the whole upper corner of the mobo is loose and freely bendable....... no one has made changes since the computer was purchased 1 1/2 years ago... the company has recently went out of business)

15. mike_brice

mike_brice

1) Number "1". Have you had problems with the breaker tripping on the same circuit? Eliminate all loads on the same circuit, reset the breaker off and on with no load several times, and verify it is seated properly (same depth as other breakers in the panel). If the breaker has a poor contact internally or to the buss bar, arching will occur. This will induce voltage and current spikes into the power supply and cause all kinds of problems that can cause damage to the monitor, motherboard and other components especially the powersupply since they are switching power supplies that may use pulse width modulation. Your highest priority is clean power otherwize you can trade all your high tech hardware for a pet rock and save money (bad joke :)). Have an electrician check check your bus bar and at minimum swap the same amphere type with another circuit that is not used as much. It is obvious the one feeding your computer get used a lot especially if you noticed the smoke signals your power supply was sending (hint, hint).

2) Can you buy or borrow a volt meter to check if the line voltage is to high?

3) Are you using the same powercord and power outlet as with the original power supply?

4) Unplug your computer and gently roate it upside down and up again several times on two axis. Listen for a rattle. Some times a screw or other metal components can be logged or come loose.
    Open and inspect the computer for this. It can happen to the most experience technician.

5) Do you have a device such as a hardrive that is slow to spin up that may cause a surge during startup?

6) Isolate the components one by one as suggested by someone earlier.

Unfortunately there can be several possible root causes and requires systematic troubleshooting by process of elimination. If you buy a brand new system and it blows up also, like the 3 monitors, then you probably have a bad power source (loose wiring, bad breaker, bad outlet, other loads on the same circuit, a bad surge protector that creates surges through arching, or a motor or appliance on the same circuit. These are some of the possibilities and is my guess list. Good luck!

:) Mike

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/106317

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice