1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

3 monitors with pci card and integrated graphics?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aloishis89, Jun 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aloishis89

aloishis89 Thread Starter

I have a dell laptop with a dock that allows you to add pci cards. I have an ati card in there now running 2 monitors. The dock also has a vga out that i am assuming is being driven by the integrated onboard graphics from the laptop. I want 3 monitors. Is it possible to do this by driving 2 off of the pci card and 1 off of the integrated graphics? I read somewhere that you may need to look through the bios to make sure that your computer doesn't automatically disable the onboard graphics once a card is plugged in. Is this true?

2. hulkinator

hulkinator

Yes. This totally depends on your onboard graphics. Some will allow you to use both the integrated video out as well as an add-on card, while other cards will only permit you to use one or the other.

If you post the exact model number of your laptop that will help! At the very least find out what the integrated card is.

3. aloishis89

aloishis89 Thread Starter

I believe it is a Dell Latitude d531

4. hulkinator

hulkinator

Hmm.... I wasn't able to find anything easily about this specific issue with that specific laptop. You won't hurt anything by just plugging a third monitor in. It may be helpful to dink with Windows' display settings.

Give it a try and let us know what happens.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/839195

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice