1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

3 months old laptop randomly shuts down

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nidavriel, Sep 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nidavriel

Nidavriel Thread Starter

Hello, I'm new to the forum, but I have been following it for some time. I seriously hope someone will be able to help me.
    Here is my problem: I bought a new ASUS laptop 3 months ago, and it was all okay until it started to shut down on its own ( about a month ago). I tried resetting Windows, updating etc then I replaced my hdd because a software diagnostics tool reported that there were bad sectors. I could also hear strange noises. I read that manhandling the laptop while it is running could damage the delicate workings of the hdd, and I had done that sometimes. Everything was fine for almost a week, then the computer started shutting down on its own again. It happened while I was working , keeping multiple programs open (twice, hours after turning it on) and while I was watching a video (10-15 min later). However, today was not the first time I watched a video, so the issue is new. It seems like it is gradually worsening. After it shut down, I tried to power it back on, but it wouldn't boot. The LEDs didn't even turn on, unless it was plugged in. When i unplugged the charger it shut down again immediately. After 3 minutes I removed the external power supply, and it kept running.

I have already updated the BIOS firmware to the last version, but it obviously didn't work.
    ASUS PC Diagnostics tells me that the CMOS pattern test failed, I looked up possible solutions, but I wanted to ask before doing anything stupid.
    I am pretty sure it isn't a heat issue, internal temperatures are within range and the laptop feels cool anyway.
    What worries me the most is that this guy is just 3 months old, and it already has so many problems.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 78 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8056 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 920MX, -2048 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 930 GB (869 GB Free);
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., X541UV
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

2. Sponsor

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If you bought that ASUS VivoBook Max X541UV laptop in brand new condition 3 months ago, it should still be under warranty.
    Unfortunately, by tampering with it and replacing its hard drive, you probably voided its warranty.

I'm not a hardware or diagnostic expert, so be patient and wait for one here to reply.

---------------------------------------------------------------

4. Nidavriel

Nidavriel Thread Starter

Thank you for replying. Yes, I am aware that I probably voided the warranty, even if I haven't broken any seals, this is why I would like to find a way to fix it by myself before taking it to ASUS
    Anyway, it's not VivoBook, it's F541U

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  5. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

You almost undoubtedly have a defective battery; though, if it gets totally discharged, it may need 12+ hours on the AC adapter to fully recharge it.
    It should; though, have gone to sleep instead of rudely turning off. Are you sure it doesn't say "resuming Windows" when it does this?
    Get a copy of BatteryInfoView and see what it says about the battery when it is most of the way fully charged. It should say designed capacity and current capacity which should be somewhat accurate.
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/battery_information_view.html
    If it shuts down when it has a decent charge on it, you should pursue a warranty replacement from ASUS and just don't tell them you changed the hard disk drive.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Your TSGSIU log identifies your laptop as an ASUS X541UV - which is a VivoBook Max model.
    https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ASUS-VivoBook-Max-X541UV/

If your laptop is actually an ASUS F541U model, I can't locate a support site for it.

--------------------------------------------------------------

7. Nidavriel

Nidavriel Thread Starter

F541U is the name written on the label near the touchpad, I don't know if that matters if the motherboard is X541UV

8. Nidavriel

Nidavriel Thread Starter

Yes, I'm completely sure it doesn't say anything. When it shuts down, it is like someone pulled the plug while a desktop computer is running, it makes the same static noise.
    This is the log of BatteryInfoView, everything seems alright

Do you think that the failed CMOS pattern test has something to do with this?
    Thank you for your help

Attached Files:

9. Nidavriel

Nidavriel Thread Starter

I forgot to specify that as long as the laptop is plugged in it works normally, without a hitch

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Thanks for finally mentioning that.
    DavisMcCarn's suspicion about a defective battery appears to be right.

-------------------------------------------------------------

11. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

Its either the battery or the power management circuitry on the system board. Whatever you do (!!!) keep ALL of the original parts if you replace anything. I hope you still have the original hard disk drive.
    Here is how to replace the battery:
    https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Asus+X551CA+Battery+Replacement/24928
    And this looks to be a genuine ASUS replacement battery:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-A31...777092?hash=item238ba62604:g:34oAAOSwA8VZlQlV
    As a note, the F541 is a different model but is part of the X541 series.

12. Nidavriel

Nidavriel Thread Starter

Thank you for everything, and sorry for replying so late
    First I am going to see if my warranty covers this, otherwise I'll replace the battery on my own
    Anyway, of course I have kept the HDD

13. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

My worry is that the problem may be (less likely; but,...) with the system board (most folks call them motherboards) in which case you'd be silly not to put all of the original parts back in and then invoke a warranty repair. ASUS' customer service rating has gone up a lot in the past few years.

14. Nidavriel

Nidavriel Thread Starter

Yes that is what I thought before as well, and your opinion makes me more convinced of it.
    I'm a bit confused as to how I could have damaged it, I am more inclined to think that it is a manufacturer defect

15. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

It is still far more probable that the battery is defective.

16. Nidavriel

Nidavriel Thread Starter

I'll keep you updated

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1196293