1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

3 PC's NETWORK HELP

Discussion in 'Networking' started by brzs4life, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brzs4life

brzs4life Thread Starter

alright, i have a very complicated Project Here i need to:
    - connect 3 pcs together sharing internet
    - all are using vista

ok my plan is:

1) wireless router from pc(1) third floor} to send signal to reach my pc(2) second floor}
    2) my pc(2) is closer to pc(3) which does not receive good signal strength from pc(1)
    3) so i need to run ethernet cable to pc(3), i have done that and bridged connections and they have not worked (CAT-5 cable does work indeed)
    but iam trying something new instead of ethernet from pc (2) going directly to pc(3) i would stop by a router
    4) so my wireless router does receive local when plugged from either pc's, now i need to know how i manage to send internet from pc(2) to pc(3)

i have made schematic diagram of this craziness, i really whish to do this witout buying anything else,
    [​IMG]

thank you anything email me at brzs4life [at] gmail [dot] com

i really really appreciate the help and God Bless!!!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Buy a router that has Ethernet wireless bridge capability, use that on PC(2) and connect a second connection from that router to PC(3). I use a ZyXEL P330W that I got for $10 after rebate for this task, works great.

3. brzs4life

brzs4life Thread Starter

4. brzs4life

brzs4life Thread Starter

does that quote above mean that it works for ethernet bridging?

5. JohnWill

That router claims to have wireless bridging capability, but Belkin told me it only works with other Belkin routers. I have that router, and I tried to to configure it's wireless bridging, but it never worked with an Actiontec, ZyXEL, and SMC router here. OTOH, the other ZyXEL worked with all of them. The Belkin is still in my closet.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  7. brzs4life

brzs4life Thread Starter

well about router, yes i am gonna send to my family in brazil and probably get another one better:
    do u know any good one with good range and price? i really dont care about security
    ohh and yes as soon as i start working making some $$ i will get my own internet connection!!!
    is there such a router that sends and receives wireless signal???

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think that you are asking about a router that can be configured as a wireless bridge (also called AP client). John mentioned one in his earlier post: ZyXEL P330W.

Going back to your ethernet only attempt, the cable from PC2 to PC3 needs to be a cross-over unless one (or both) ports are auto-sensing. When you connect the cable do the ethernet LEDs light on both PCs?

The bridging that you want to do in PC2 will work, but sometimes there are some complications. Best, if you want to try again, is to first just get the two PCs communicating with each other.

9. JohnWill

Many Linksys routers are compatible with DD-WRT 3rd party firmware. This firmware offers many expanded features, one of them being bridge/AP modes.

10. brzs4life

brzs4life Thread Starter

oh ok well when i connect both pcs together nothing happens lights dont go on, but i know that when i use same wire to connect pc1 or pc2 to a router it works, so iam sure its not the cable, iam using cat-5 cable and i know that is the right wire......

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    To connect a computer to a router you use a straight (or patch, or regular) ethernet cable. To connect two computers you use a cross-over ethernet cable unless at least one of the computers has an auto-sensing (MDI/MDIX) port.

I doubt that you are using the correct cable; but if you are then at least one of the computers has a bad NIC.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700220

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice