1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

3 problems

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by MPiGTi, Sep 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MPiGTi

MPiGTi Thread Starter

1) Trying to boot up an old '95 pc get past the 95 splash screen and get the message "windows cannot run, missing system.ini, need to rerun windows setup, press any key to continue." after this im brought to the "you may now switch off your computer" screen :( help anyone please??

2) Is it possible to have 2 hard disks running the same OS, one as primary, other as slave, (slave originally existing as a primary, thus containing an OS already and programs) running programs that are on the slave from the primary's OS?

3) Is it possible to have a primary running say XP and a slave again originally a primary running ME with XP running the programs installed on the ME disc??

Thanks in advance!

MPiGTi

2. greengeek

greengeek

You can do a dual boot with WinME and XP, you need to install ME first then XP.

3. mobo

mobo

This was a fix I have used for system.ini in 98 so give it a try in 95..

go to control panel networking and install "Client for Microsoft Networks". Have your install CD handy since the system may have to look for them there.

4. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

To isolate the problem, remove the gray ribbon cable form the slave drive and boot with only one drive.

IF it boots fine with one drive you will know aht it is a conflict between the two operating systems, each on a primary partition.

5. MPiGTi

MPiGTi Thread Starter

"go to control panel networking and install "Client for Microsoft Networks". Have your install CD handy since the system may have to look for them there."

Wish I could, I can't get past the Win95 loading screen before I get the missing system.ini file problem. :(

Many thanks for the replies :)

6. mobo

mobo

I had a 98 system with the exact same probleb..Have you tried pressing any keys to see if it loads up ? Give it a few seconds to respond as well..

7. MPiGTi

MPiGTi Thread Starter

Says press any key to continue, if I do, it takes me to the "You May Now Switch Off Your Computer" screen.. :(

8. mobo

mobo

Have you looked at the possiblity of Nitehawks post being the problem here as well ?

9. MPiGTi

MPiGTi Thread Starter

Yup, the old primary works fine back as a primary (sole HDD connected). But connect the drive I want to use as either a slave or a sole primary and the missing system.ini problem occurs! :(

10. mobo

mobo

I think the problem is the master boot record. you have two hard drives each with a primary c drive . Is that correct. also when you disconnect one your system boots up correctly . Is that right ?If you switch the hard drives again and still with only one does it boot up ?

11. MPiGTi

MPiGTi Thread Starter

What I've been given is 2 old units both pretty poor by today's standards. I attempted to make the best of what was available by combining the useful parts from both (memory, hdds, floppy drives etc). I had managed to get them both to boot up with one acting as a C: and one as a D: (A:/B:=floppies and E:=CD)successfully but after a restart I got the above message. Doing the 1 ribbon at a time trick traced the problem to the HD i was using as the C:, so disconnected it, plugged "D:" in as the main HD and it all came to life fine. I then attempted to use the HD used as D: as the primary and the HD used as C: as the secondary but the same error occured. Going to attempt booting the problem disk with a boot disk and if it works, replace the system.ini file manually. Can't think of much else to do! :'(

Many thanks for all your continuted help! - Really appreciated!!!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165336

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice