1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

3 Questions with XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Rocky1, Mar 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocky1

Rocky1 Thread Starter

This may not be the right forun, but I have three questions:

1. How do you expand Add/Remove Programs under Control Panel to show all programs such as Internet Explorer, etc

2. Also, MS Messenger use to greet me...now I am receiving no greeting..is there some box that needs to be checked/unchecked

3. How do you go about changing between half duplex and full duplex on a modem

Any assistance appreciated

2. Dan O

Dan O

1. How do you expand Add/Remove Programs under Control Panel to show all programs such as Internet Explorer, etc

You cannot beyond clicking Add/Remove Windows Components, only shows a few items. Many Windows components such as Internet Explorer and Media Player are built-in to the OS, therefore, cannot be removed, which is why the governemnt is after Microsoft .

2. Also, MS Messenger use to greet me...now I am receiving no greeting..is there some box that needs to be checked/unchecked

MS Messenger can be removed using Add/Remove Windows Components. I would try installing it, reboot, and reinstall it.

3. How do you go about changing between half duplex and full duplex on a modem

It usually controlled by the protocol being used. TCP-IP is Full Duplex only. If you using a Async terminal emulator, such as HyperTerminal, it's controlled by the application.

Here some infor to explain half duplex:

It refers to the transmission of data in just one direction at a time. For example, a walkie-talkie is a half-duplex device because only one party can talk at a time. In contrast, a telephone is a full-duplex device because both parties can talk simultaneously.

Most modems contain a switch that lets you select between half-duplex and full-duplex modes. The correct choice depends on which program you are using to transmit data through the modem.

In half-duplex mode, each character transmitted is immediately displayed on your screen. (For this reason, it is sometimes called local echo -- characters are echoed by the local device). In full-duplex mode, transmitted data is not displayed on your monitor until it has been received and returned (remotely echoed) by the other device. If you are running a communications program and every character appears twice, it probably means that your modem is in half-duplex mode when it should be in full-duplex mode, and every character is being both locally and remotely echoed.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/71909

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice