1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

3 thin horizontal white lines out of nowhere on LCD monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HeatherB1, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HeatherB1

HeatherB1 Thread Starter

Hello,

Out of nowhere, I now have 3 very thin horizontal white lines towards the top of my LCD monitor that go all the way across the screen. I have no idea where they came from but I just noticed them today. My monitor is 3 1/2 years old. Does anyone know what the problem could be and how I might be able to fix it? I've tried restarting the computer, but they're still there.:(

Thanks for your help!

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Are the lines always there, even when you first turn on the computer, or does it only happen when you get into Windows (assuming your running Windows)?

What is the make and model of you PC and how old is it?
    Have you ever opened up the PC and cleaned it out to get rid of dust?

My first thoughts would be that either the monitor or graphics card are on the way out, however check that the cables are all connected securely to be sure aswell.

3. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Try to gently squeeze the monitor around the edges. It may be too thick to do much, but it may be that there are some connections that have worked their way loose. It's similar to a cold solder joint. Temperature variations, and the associated expansion and contraction, could lead to this sort of problem. Sometimes you can apply pressure and alleviate the problem, at least temporarily, but it generally indicates the beginning of additional, similar problems.

The above technique of gently squeezing around the periphery of the monitor works best with a laptop where the surrounding bezel is not as thick.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918207

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice