1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

3 times posted still not solved

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lee_1133, Sep 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lee_1133

lee_1133 Thread Starter

hi all

the limited account user on XP pc tries to use google to search for something but it does not do anything when they click search or enter?

the address bar works fine but clicking on links on web pages does nothing as well?

any idea's

2. steamwiz

steamwiz

3. lee_1133

lee_1133 Thread Starter

no luck i have spybot & ran the program you recommended but neither brought up anything i think its settings not a hijack because if i log in as administrator everything is ok but if anyone else logs in with a limited account google don't do the searches and links don't work

4. lee_1133

lee_1133 Thread Starter

i have 2 users on my XP home version PC, 1 is administrator(me) & 1 is limited account user! if i log on google will search but if i log on as the limited account user google will not search??????????

any idea's

lee_1133

p.s NTFS is my file system

5. yul

yul

6. lee_1133

lee_1133 Thread Starter

ran the removal tool nothing found?

7. lee_1133

lee_1133 Thread Starter

hi all

i have posted a thread concerning this problem 3 times and each time i have been told it is probably the qhost virus but it is not, i reply saying this then no-one else replies.

so.......

anyone got any idea's on what else it might be?

google will not search on XP when logged on as a limited account user but if logged on as administrator it works fine?

i won't post about this problem again after this, i will assume no-one knows what the problem is.

thx in advance lee_1133

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Thanks for not posting for the forth time. :)

Have you considered the possibility that the user's account settings are corrupted? I've had several incidents of a single user on a machine having difficulty, and being unable to sort out the issue. My fix is to create a new user, move his data over to that user, and delete the old user and his profiles.

9. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

And as an added comment, if you'd post BACK to the same thread, that will pop it back to the top again and everyone can see what you've been told before ;)

BTW, I've merged all 3 threads and in looking thru your other posts, it seems you have a history of duplicate and triplicate posting. Please read the forum rules.

10. lee_1133

lee_1133 Thread Starter

sorry, i just though that if the post dissappears down the pages it won't be seen by anyone so a new post would be ok, i won't do it again.

thankyou johnwill for your idea

lee_1133

11. putasolution

putasolution

Have you got a HOSTS folder on your computer?

If so, Delete it and restart your computer

12. lee_1133

lee_1133 Thread Starter

yes i have but it belongs to blackICE?

13. mcse72

mcse72

Try unlocking the limited profile by changing the hidden file ntuser.man to ntuser.dat if its locked down. Then change the limited login rights to administrator and login as limited and run a google search once and whatever else the profile has a problem with. Then log back in as admin and change the rights back to what they were before. Hopefully, next time you login with the limited profile it should work properly.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170214

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice