1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

3 Unexpected Shutdowns

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Deazy, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Deazy

Deazy Thread Starter

Hello.

I am using Windows Vista Home Premium and I just encounted 3 unexpected shutdowns. Is there a way that I can find out the cause to these shutdowns? Nothing was detected in a virus scan using AVG 7.5. Nothing was detected in the Problem Reports and Solutions Centre. Here are some of the details that I recorded.

Computer Make/Model Acer Aspire 5720
    Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium
    Date/Time of Occurance 28/03/08 (Today) 7pm (12 Minutes Ago)
    Problem 3 Shutdowns within 10 minutes

Shutdown 1 Running Mozilla Firefox, Windows Live Messenger and Adobe Photoshop CS2. Shutdown while changing programs.

Shutdown 2 Turned PC on after 1st unexpected shutdown. Started booting Operating System then Shutdown.

Shutdown 3 Turned PC on after 2nd shutdown. Did the same as Shutdown 2.

Startup 1 Turned PC On, Booted Operating System in Repair Mode (as recommended) could not fix errors, System Restored.

After this my computer has worked as normal but I am only using Firefox to post this error here to find the potential problem. Please help!

Thanks

Deazy

2. pjhutch

pjhutch

Anything mentioned in the Event Viewer or dump logs?

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Shutdowns with no error message are most likely initiated by the motherboard.

I would be looking for symptoms of overheating here -- or possibly a power supply failure.

4. Deazy

Deazy Thread Starter

Nothing in there.

So you are saying it is probably the motherboard or the power supply? I know that my laptop isnt that old, and it doesnt get too hot when im sitting with it.

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Even bad ram usually produces a restart with a BSOD that may or may not be seen.

Look on the underside of laptop where the vent is and see if it is clogged with dust.

Also try starting in Safe Mode or Safe Mode with networking support and see if the problem continues there.

It's just very unlikely this is caused by drivers or software.

Does it stay on longer if you let it cool for a half hour or so before rebooting?

Even though it may not be getting hot -- it is possible there is a bad thermal sensor on the motherboard initiating the shutdown.

If the laptop is under any kind of warranty, you should establish some contact with them over this ASAP.

>> By the way, since this is Vista, the ram is particularly easy to test.

Just run mdsched.exe

Read the additional info and run the extended tests to stress things thoroughly.

6. Deazy

Deazy Thread Starter

I ran the memory tests and it did not detect anything. The underneath of my computer is pretty good. I cannot see any dust. My computer often lags on shutdown and reboot, as in it does usually take a bit, just like the start up. It has preformed pretty well. Apart from a few Blue Screen Errors from time to time it has not done anything like this. I will contact Acer and see what they suggest.

Thankyou.

Deazy

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

See if you can get some temperature readings from Speedfan.

Look for more than a 35 c rise in temps from a completely cold boot.

All symptoms are indicative of overheating.

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Can you tell us the last program you installed and whether or not you installed any drivers or hardware before this started?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697882

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice