Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

3 Unknown Devices since I reinstalled 98SE

2K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  ~Candy~ 
#1 ·
I reinstalled 98SE on my laptop recently to clean up some problems I was having, now there are 3 Unknown Devices in the device manager, and I get prompted to install drivers for them every time i reboot. Windows can't figure out what the devices are, and neither can I. I'm pretty sure one of them is my soundcard, but I don't know what to do with the other two files. Is there any free diagnostic programs that can tell me what these devices are? I'm going to try Belarc and see if that helps.

#2 ·
If your sound isn't working, chances are pretty good that one is sound. Do you have your driver cd for the computer or try the IBM website.

Should be able to update drivers and point the driver search to the location of the drivers.

I'm not sure if Belarc will ID hardware that isn't installed. Perhaps, it will, but........

#4 ·
i got all the drivers i could from IBM's website, but they dont automatically install the drivers for you, they just put the dll files in a folder so you can tell windows where to find them.

#6 ·
Pyrosx1 said:
i got all the drivers i could from IBM's website, but they dont automatically install the drivers for you, they just put the dll files in a folder so you can tell windows where to find them.
Yes, I know they don't auto install. They just sit there and look at you.

Do update drivers from device manager, and point the search to the location of the drivers. Try the sound first, you may have to dig deeper into the driver folder, ie, d:\win98\drivers\sound or the such.

#8 ·
i think im gonna reinstall windows again and try figuring out which drivers are not working, then ill just try plugging every driver i can find on ibm's website into the unknowns that come up. you'd think windows update would be able to handle these types of problems by this day and age.

#9 ·
Pyrosx1 said:
i think im gonna reinstall windows again and try figuring out which drivers are not working, then ill just try plugging every driver i can find on ibm's website into the unknowns that come up. you'd think windows update would be able to handle these types of problems by this day and age.
there not windows drivers that your looking for, there probably motherboard drivers for all your onboard stuff, and you should be able to load them from the Device Manager

#10 ·
Pyrosx1 said:
You can reinstall windows until the cows come home. You are still going to have to deal with the drivers.

When you say you have downloaded them from IBM's website, you have also expanded the drivers that are .exe files, correct? You can't just point the driver search to a folder that contains one file that you downloaded.

#11 ·
yeah i opened the file and located which folder they were placed in, then pointed the unknown devices at each of those driver files, to no avail.

#13 ·
#14 ·
Ok, one at a time.

Is your video/display correct at the moment or does it appear to be large and blurry?

If so, did you follow these install instructions?

II. Installation instructions for Windows 98

Start Windows 98.
Extract the drivers onto the hard drive.
Click Start -> Settings and then click Control Panel.
Double-click the Display icon.
Click the Settings tab.
Click the Advanced button.
Click the Adapter tab.
Click the Change button. The Update Device Driver Wizard window will appear.
Click the Next button.
Select Display a list of all the drivers in a specific location, so you can select the driver you want and click the Next button.
Click the Have Disk button. The Install From Disk window will appear.
In the Copy manufacturer's files from: box, type C:\DRIVERS\W9X\DISPLAY and click the OK button. The Select Device window will appear with a list of video drivers.
Confirm IBM ThinkPad 770/770ED (Cyber9397) or IBM ThinkPad 770X/770Z (Cyber9397DVD) is listed in Models field. If you do not see your model, click on Show all devices and select your model. Then, click the OK button.
Click the Yes button if the Update Driver Warning window appears.
Click the Next button at the Update Device Driver Wizard window. The video drivers are installed.
Click the Finish button to close the Update Device Driver Wizard window.
Click the Close button to close the IBM ThinkPad(Cyber9397) Properties window.
Click the Close button to close the Display Properties window.
Windows 98 prompts you to restart the computer to make the display driver change effective.

#15 ·
my display works fine, the sound still doesnt work even though twice now ive pointed one of the unknown devices at the sound card driver i downloaded and it told me it was a crystal brand sound card, and installed the driver.

#17 ·
0 System timer
1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
2 Programmable interrupt controller
3 Unknown Device
4 Communications Port (COM3)
5 Unknown Device
6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
7 IBM ThinkPad Fast Infrared Port
8 System CMOS/real time clock
9 Crystal PnP Audio System MPU-401 Compatible
10 Unknown Device
11 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
11 Crystal SoundFusion(tm) PCI Audio Accelerator
11 Belkin 802.11g Network Adapter
11 Texas Instruments PCI-1251/1251A CardBus Controller
11 Texas Instruments PCI-1251/1251A CardBus Controller
11 IBM ThinkPad 770X/770Z (Cyber9397DVD)
11 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
12 IBM PS/2 TrackPoint
13 Numeric data processor
14 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
14 Standard Bus Mastering IDE Hard Disk Controller
15 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
15 Standard Bus Mastering IDE Hard Disk Controller

#18 ·
Note: After the installation, you should find the following drivers installed
under Sound, Video, and game controllers in Device Manager:

Crystal PnP Audio System CODEC
Crystal PnP Audio System Control Registers
Crystal PnP Audio System Joystick
Crystal PnP Audio System MPU-401 Compatible
Crystal SoundFusion(tm) PCI Audio Accelerator
Crystal SoundFusion(tm) Virtual MPU-401

Do you show those items in device manager?

#19 ·
i only have

Crystal PnP Audio System MPU-401 Compatible
Crystal SoundFusion(tm) PCI Audio Accelerator
Gameport Joystick

under sound, video, and game controllers. I'm sorry for the delayed response, im going to reinstall tonight though. can anyone tell me if it is very difficult to upgrade memory in a laptop? a program i used that scans your computer for all software/hardware info it can find (possibly belarc, i cant remember now) and it said i could upgrade the memory to a maximum of 300 or 360 mb of memory, which would put this computer in the range of being able to comfortably handle XP, which is what I would like to do.

On a side note, any time I leave the laptop unplugged for awhile (I think 2 hours was the shortest amount of time this has happened at), the computer goes to a debug screen where it asks me to reset the time. Then it reboots, and a big ON > OFF screen pops up. If I leave the computer on for about 20-30 minutes, then reboot it, it runs fine, also if i have the 98SE disc in the cd rom and it tries to boot from there, that bypasses this screen as well (i think). I don't have a working battery for the laptop, so im assuming the clock battery is warn out as well and causing this?

Also, this situation caused me to go to the BIOS screen, which allows you to run a series of tests on everything on your computer (hard drive, display, cd-rom, battery, infrared sensor, modem, ect) and an error number always comes up on the hard drive. As I was checking the device manager, the Hard Disk Controllers section has the following info:

Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
Standard Bus Mastering IDE Hard Disk Controller
Standard Bus Mastering IDE Hard Disk Controller

the standard is there twice, and theres a warning (!) icon on the Intel item. When I checked properties, it said that "This device is causing a resource conflict (code 15)

I'm going to run the hardware troubleshooter, but I think I've tried this before to no avail. Any thoughts on any of this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.