1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

3 ZTE MF622 USB Modem unable to connect to GPRS

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Silversheepz, Apr 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Silversheepz

Silversheepz Thread Starter

HI Peepz

I think this is in the right forum??

I've just signed up to a 12 month contract on a 3 ZTE Usb modem for my laptop, got it all set up ok and working .. well working in that it will establish an internet connection, but it just hangs when trying to connect to 'any' internet sites.

I've got a good GPRS connection of 4-5 bars all the times I've tried to connect (at home, at the beach, in a layby down the road from me) ... and it still hangs trying to load 'any' internet page.

But .... it works fine on 3G ... tried it in Tesco's carpark and PC world car park .. no problem at all ... it just seems to be in the GPRS area's ... which is why I got it as I am doing a bit of travelling around the UK from May onwards for about 6-9 months, and it I need to be able to access the internet from anywhere.

I've only got another 2 days left until I cannot cancel the contract ... so if anyone can help, I would VERY appreciative.

I've tried 3 themselves and they were no help ... I got put through twice to someone in India .. or twice to 2 different people with heavy Indian accents ... and I spent 15 minutes trying to get them to understand my problem without much success, and trying to understand what they were saying .... all they kept getting from them I think was they thought I had a poor signal, and to reinstall the software .... which I'd already done anyway several times, and I have 4-5 bar signal every time I connect, so it's neither of those.

Oh, and the funny thing is in these same areas my mobile will connect to the internet via GPRS .... slowly, but still.....

Anyhoo, any help is most welcome....

Thanks

Mike

P.S - incase you need to know...

Amilo L1300 - 1.5ghz
    1gb ram
    Win XP SP2

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If they can't help, I'd suggest you cancel the contract. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work.

It could simply be a defective device since it connects to some signals. Or perhaps it doesn't have the sensitivity that the mobile has?

3. jr041283

jr041283

hi there. i am not residing on your country but sure i know that we are using the same device.

I am a Senior Technical Support for a Telecommunication Company that sells ZTE MF622.

The device is a Wireless device that will allow you to have good internet connection. It will be hook over the GSM network of any provider. It can link you into the WWW via a 3G, GPRS, 2G, or any mobile network signal.

If will hook you into any available signal type on the area where you are using it.

3G or the 3rd Generation is said to deliver up to 7.2Mbps while the GPRS is only up to 172kbps; lower telephony will of course allow you only will the slower connection.

So basically the device will be maximized and i'm sure you will be happy in using it only on 3G covered areas.

FYI - i will advise you to use Mozilla Firefox specially when you are on GPRS only area.

4. VaioMan

VaioMan

Mike,

From this week 3UK is withdrawing 2G roaming on their Mobile Broadband modems which means that they will not work on GPRS.

If you cannot get a 3G / HSDPA signal at home they will allow you to cancel the contract even after the 3 day cancellation period.

Although I get full strength HSDPA at home, I have stayed in hotels and used it in other places where its only worked on GPRS - which is better than nothing for emails, although internet browsing is obviously pretty slow.

I had a look on the Vodafone website last night and their coverage checker did show areas with GPRS coverage (but no 3G). T-Mobile’s site seemed real slow so I gave up! I’d suggest you have a look at the other network’s websites and see which ones are still offering GPRS in non-3G areas and consider changing to one of the other networks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702741

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice