300 Gig = 127 Gig

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

pfiltz

Well, I wanted to add a 300 gig drive into a Windows 2000 Small Biz Server today. When I went into DiskMgr to format it, the thing showed up as 127 gig. I know there is a registry setting to let 2K take into consideration LBA, but I'm kind of scared now.

Just last week, I made that registry change, and the system wouldn't boot up. At that time, it had a 200 gig drive. We think it may have been writing data over the MFT.

I'm not sure how old the hardware is on the machine.

What I'm not sure about is whether it's a hardware problem or OS problem.

Ideas?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
If the BIOS date is earlier than sometime in the mid-2002 range, it's probably the BIOS. If you have a late 2002 or better BIOS, it's more likely the operating system. If you're up to the current patch level on your 2000 Server, it should handle the larger drives.

I had a similar problem when I bought a large hard drive but after using the setup software that came with the drive (Western Digital), it recognized the whole thing. My computer is over 4 years old (1 ghz pentium 3).

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I suspect you didn't notice Windows 2000 Small Biz Server. I don't think you want to use drive overlay software here... :)

Had that problem just today with a friend of mine, putting a 250GB WD in a 2Ghz Pentium 4 on Intel D845HV. Updated BIOS and resized partition on partition magic and he was good to go

pfiltz

Man I don't even want to get into updating the BIOS at this point. I don't really know much about their equipment. New on board with them. Of course we don't even have a disk image of the server yet.

I actually had the same problem at my studio around 5 months ago. I started to overight the MFT. It got totally trashed. There was a OS registry setting that needed to be changed. I was running 2K prof.

I changed it, and it corrected the size, but I had to send the drive off to get data recovered from it. Bloody nightmare.

John, we're at SP4 on the server. I'll check the BIOS date tomorrow. Do I just boot up the machine, and pause it prior to booting to the the BIOS date?

pfiltz

Is there a quick way to get the BIOS info without shutting down and rebooting the server?

pfiltz

Great download.

Thanks. I just ran it here on my system. Now I just need to get the info from the server. I DL Everest...

pfiltz

Well, Everest home edition won't run in a Domain enviroment. I may look into purchasing the coporate edition or DL Belarc...

DoubleHelix

Banned
Programs like Everest and Belarc Adviser aren't going to solve the problem for you. They just provide info, and they don't provide info on the BIOS. Even if they did, you can't change any BIOS settings within them. You'd still have to reboot to do that. Without a BIOS update or overlay program, I don't know what other options you have for getting the system to recognize the entire drive.

pfiltz

Oh, sure, I understand that I'm going to have to update the BIOS. I was just looking for a piece of software to provide technical info....

DoubleHelix

Banned
What kind of technical info are you looking for? Belarc and Everest provide info on the hardware and software installed on a machine. That doesn't have anything to do with the problem originally posted here.

pfiltz said:
Is there a quick way to get the BIOS info without shutting down and rebooting the server?

From my understanding, he just wanted to info (date, etc) of the bios and if I remember right, either Belarc or Everest provides that.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online