Solved 3060 drawing ALL power from x16 slot - dangerous or ok?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

nrpeyton

Hi peeps,

My GPU (RTX 3060 is drawing *all* of its power from the x16 slot). For example: if the card is using 150 watts -- all 150 is being drawn from the slot. (According to common knowledge this should not be allowed due to the slot supposedly being hard limited to 75 watts? I thought anything above 75 should come from the 8 pin direct from the PSU?

Just wanted to check if this is dangerous or not, (or if I'll probably be okay)?

I am also curious about the two below questions (but they're not crucial - only a bonus or for discussion):

1) why the card allows this to happen? (Or is the 75 watt limit for the x16 slot just a myth)?
and
2) Why do they bother reporting false power draw (wattage) data for x16 slot and 8(6+2) pin? [Example: In GPU-z it might say 40 watts for the slot and 110 watts for the 8 pin]; clearly this is NOT the case so why the need for false reporting (which only serves to further confuse people during troubleshooting)? If there aren't genuine (real) sensors that can physically report the true breakdown for power draw between slot and 8 pin then how does such popular software get away with effectively *making this up* (probably based on some rudimentary calculation that I could do myself).

Thank you,

Nicholas Peyton

managed

Allan
Do you have an 8-pin power lead plugged into that 3060 Graphics card ?

crjdriver

How exactly are you ascertaining the fact your card is not using pci-e pw?
I doubt the card is drawing all pw from the slot. As a very simple test, disconnect the 8pin pci-e connect and pw ON the system. My guess is it will not work OR you will get a msg regarding the need to connect pw.

Last edited:

managed

Allan
Please post your solution, it may help others with a similar problem.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online