1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

30million To March On World Demo

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by joe2cool, Feb 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joe2cool

joe2cool Thread Starter

30MILLION TO MARCH ON WORLD DEMO

MORE than 30million people in 300 cities around the world are expected to demonstrate on Saturday against a war on Iraq.

Ten million are due to march in 99 cities in Europe alone.

Groups in 142 American cities have also planned events as part of the global International Day of Action.

John Rees, from the Stop the War Coalition, said: "It will send a clear message to the White House and Downing Street that it is them against the world."

London is expected to pull in the biggest crowd, with the police preparing for up to a million protesters , dwarfing the poll tax and Countryside Alliance demonstrations.

Speakers will include Mo Mowlam, Ken Livingstone, Charles Kennedy and former American presidential candidate Jesse Jackson.

2. Tuppence2

Tuppence2 Guest

Hello,

I have three friends going up to London for the March. On the last one, the march was so long, they didn't get to the "finish" place.
    They dropped off into a book shop for a coffee and watched the people filing past for a long time. They hope to visitt he demonstration by the "Women in Black", a group set up by Israeli women (I belive) who dress all in black and demonstrate silently against war and violence.

We have "silent" vigils for peace in our town each Saturday morning.

Penny.

3. eggplant43

eggplant43 A True Heart and Soul - Gone But Never Forgotten

Don't be surprised if some here attempt to marginalize these protests as unimportant, unattended, and unsupported.:rolleyes:

4. Shadow Bea

Shadow Bea Cherished forever in our hearts

Of course there will be an attempt... theres oil in them there hills!!

5. Tuppence2

Tuppence2 Guest

Hello eggplant,

No, that is to be expected. I also have Quaker Friends, who are absolutely again violence in any situation.

Thank you for your post.

Penny:cool:

Hello Bea:)

6. Wino

Wino

7. eggplant43

Great photo WINO, glad they've come to their senses;)

8. columbo

columbo

Well,

I just hope that the protests don't turn violent, as many have tended to do. A lot of these people are "professional protestors" (think anti-globalization protestors) who just use these events as an excuse to vandalize and destroy property.....at the taxpayer's expense. :mad:

9. eggplant43

Well if the recent peace marches that have been held around the world are any indication, there shouldn't be much of a problem. The most recent demonstration I recall was held in Australia last week when 700+ women disrobed. I don't believe there was a single bit of property damage.:)

10. columbo

columbo

Hey Eggplant,

I know that the majority of the protestors are good people, but I just remember what many of them did last time they came through Toronto (smashing windows, throwing rocks at police horses, etc.)

11. THoey

THoey

Just remember, that here in the U.S. (and to some part in a lot of other countries), the U.S. Military has been an integral part of allowing the ability for these people to have the right and freedom to march like this...

12. Tuppence2

Tuppence2 Guest

Violence breeds violence.

13. ComputerFix

ComputerFix

I wonder how many of those 30 million people realize that if they get what they are after (no action in Iraq) it will allow the mass murder and outright brutality to continue.

"Peace" will not be the result of leaving Saddam in power.

There is more than just "oil in them there hills".....

14. THoey

THoey

I agree CF. I am all for the rights of the people who do not believe in war to protest.

But I think anyone, whether it be the little kid getting beat up by the bully everyday while walking home from school that finally snaps and fights back, or the country that has followed the rules, upheld the sanctions, been attacked, watched thousands of innocent people die that gives up and finally prepares for war, while bad countries ignore the rules, ignored the sanctions, sponsored attacks (allegedly), killed thousands of innocent people.

Tup2, I am not a violent person myself. I would rather walk away and have fun. I have only been in a couple of fights in my almost 40 years. But those fights I got into were direct result of when I finally could not take being abuse or beaten any more.

I wish for peace, but I don't see it happening in this case.

Joe2Cool, Sorry if I/we turned this into another war debate thread. I will not reply to it again, so that it can go back to it's original purpose.

15. ChrisJ

ChrisJ

So do you know if there are any of these marches going on in the Eastern Washington area? I'd love to partake in one of these!!!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118740

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice