1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

31.4 hard drive issues . should be 200 gig

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by System_Fx, Aug 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. System_Fx

System_Fx Thread Starter

woah ive had soo many problems with this . i reformated .. and . bam my 200 gig is reading . 31.4 . its a westren digital . my bios is updated and is readin it at 200 gig
    ive tried the maxor patch and reformating it again .. i think the person that instatlled it had this issue the first time around .. but i dont kno how he fixed it . i'm running a P4 2.4 ms 6577 768 ram ect ect .. any ideas i dont kno what to do .

2. coorrel

coorrel

Update to latest service packs or check jumers at the back of HDD, I think there's an option like that as well.

3. Jimmy the Hand

Jimmy the Hand

I've just read at microsoft's that although Windows 2003 server can read and write FAT32 partitions between 33 MB and 2 TB, it only can format partitions up to 32 GB.
    I'm lazy to look it up, but maybe it is the same with XP. So if you formatted the disk to FAT32 filesystem, and use 2000/XP/2k3 Server, you can start being suspicious.

4. photolady

photolady

Definitely check jumpers. It sounds like the jumper is set to limit the drive space because even with XP no SP's, it should read at least 137gb of that 200gb drive.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I think that Malacka is on the trail, my guess is it's formatted FAT32.

6. photolady

photolady

But even FAT32 will see up to 37gb.

7. JohnWill

You can access a 200gig FAT32 partition if you like, I've done it. However, you can only format up to 32gigs using XP's Disk Management. You can format it with something as simple as an MS-DOS boot disk...

8. System_Fx

System_Fx Thread Starter

"Update to latest service packs or check jumers at the back of HDD, I think there's an option like that as well. "

thats been done ..

"I think that Malacka is on the trail, my guess is it's formatted FAT32. "

its formated ntfs and i tried to use lifeguard to do it . 11.2 and the windows no go

9. Lurker1

Lurker1

What operating system are you trying to load? I suggest booting off a windows XP cdrom with service pack 2 on it and formatting \repartitioning the hard drive during the windows XP setup.

10. JohnWill

Used Lifeguard? That could also be a problem. You don't want any 3rd party partitioning software in the mix, and it's not needed.

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What does the BIOS say about the size of the drive? The jumper idea is very valid, there's been several people lately here who've limited the size accidently with a jumper setting.

12. System_Fx

System_Fx Thread Starter

Used Lifeguard? That could also be a problem. You don't want any 3rd party partitioning software in the mix, and it's not needed.
    ''

only tried that after nothing worked

also the bios says 200gig
    and .. the jumpers are the same as before i reformated

13. JohnWill

What does the drive look like in Disk Managment? Can you give us a screenshot of Disk Managment?

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/491000

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice