1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

32 bit color

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by garys, Sep 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. garys

garys Thread Starter

I have a new software program that requires 32 bit color. Windows XP only gives me a choice of 16 or 24 bit. How can I change this to 32 bit? Thanks!:confused:

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Make sure you have the correct drivers for your graphics adapter.

The higher resolution and higher colour definition require more video memory. It sounds as though your system is running out of video memory at 24 bit colour.

It could also be the driver for your monitor that needs updating.

Its usually not possible to add mode video memory, however it depends on what type of adapter you have. Some use the system memory, and you may have to configure it to use more.

If you have the wrong driver loaded, it may only think that is the limit.

Post back with a full description of your system hardware and version of Windows.

3. garys

garys Thread Starter

I have checked several other computers and they all have this problem. Here are the specs on the ones that I need to get it changed on.

Gateway Windows XP Home edition version 5.1 1.1 ghz 256 ram

and

Dell Windows XP Professional version 5.1 1.1 ghz 500mhz 256 ram.

The fact that this is the same on several computers make me think it is not a video card memory or driver problem, but I am no expert. Thanks for any help.

4. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

I think that it would be, otherwise if you had a good enough monitor and video card than it would allow 32bit colour. In my experiance it requires at least 32Mb of video memory to run 32bit colour, but even then thats a little low.

5. garys

garys Thread Starter

I think it is the driver for my monitor. Do I have to go to the Dell or Gateway website to get a newer driver?
    How do I check to see how much memory I have on my video card?

Thanks!

6. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

not sure on how the finding out about memory on vid card, however i doubt it is your monitor. MOnitors dont usually ned anything sophisticated to keep them running. there is a little chip inside your monitor which tells your computer what it is, what it can do etc. Best bet would be video card driver. Try bios to find out about video memory, or use a utility. i hear good things about AIDA32, and somthing else. starts with a b... cant remember it for the life of me.

The thing about 32bit colour is that it is just 24bit colour with an 8 bit alpha channel. What is the program that is having the problem?

7. putasolution

putasolution

To find out about memory on a graphics card
    Go to Start | Run
    Type in Dxdiag
    Click the Display tab
    In the Device section, it will tell you how much memory the card is utilising

8. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The limitation is either your video card/chipsets, in that they have insufficient video RAM to display in 32 bit or that they are lacking the chipset drivers needed to allow them to run at that resolution, or the resolution that you have the screen set at is too high to allow the color depth.

Monitor drivers will only limit the refresh rates to those the monitor can handle

On all my XP installations I have a choice of 16 bit or 32 bit, and 24 bit or 32 bit.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168113

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice