1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

32 bit files 64 bit windows 7

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by PEP, Apr 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PEP

PEP Banned Thread Starter

I have some fogware encyclopedia cd's that always worked on windows xp. Now i got windows 7 64 bit and when i run the cd it says they dont work on this version of windows. I assume its the 64 bit version and not just the fact that its windows 7 that's preventing it to work. Is there anything at all i can do? Maybe convert the files on the cd to 64 bit version or get some kind of emulator for 32 bit windows, it says on the cd that itll run on windows 95/98/2000... so anything would work. Thanks.

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I doubt the problem is related to 64-bit. If the most recent version of Windows listed as compatible is Windows 2000, I'm not surprised it doesn't work on Windows 7. You might try a compatibility mode.

4. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

It's most likely a 16 bit installer, many 32 bit programs used a 16 bit installer, but they won't run on a 64 bit OS. So even if the program is 32 bit and is compatible, you can't use their installer to install it.
    The attached screenshot shows this error. This is the installer for the 32 bit version of a dictionary. The program is 32 bit, but the setup32.exe file is a 16 bit program.

It could even be a 16 bit program. Some of the older dictionary and encyclopedia programs weren't upgraded to 32 bit versions, there was no real need to upgrade them.

They won't work on a 64 bit OS though.

Attached Files:

5. PEP

PEP Banned Thread Starter

Well it definitely worked when i had windows xp. ima try downloading that mode.

6. jonasdatum

jonasdatum

I am thinking of using a 64 BIT OS, but is there a common list I can find on Microsoft website? Does Windows 7 / Vista have compatibility mode so I can use older 32-bit applications?

7. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Most 32 bit software will install on a 64 bit OS. I know of NO such list.
    That said, most disk utilities, AV, firewall and other "Protection" programs MAY need to be upgraded to their 64 bit versions. Check out the OEM web page for more information.

I think you should be more concerned about the hardware. If you have any older hardware, I would check with the OEM and make sure that there is drivers and required software for the 64 bit OS.

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

9. Hughv

Hughv

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917722

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice