1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

32-bit games in 64-bit windows

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by windowserror, Jun 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. windowserror

windowserror Thread Starter

Is there any way that I can make my old Maxis-made Sim games work in x64 Windows 7? I have tried installing them and they do not even work in the Compatibility Mode, I get an error message indicating they only work in 32-bit systems. Is there a way to fool the games into working properly? Thank you.

2. nebuchadnezzer2

nebuchadnezzer2

try copying the installed games to C:/Program Files (x86) if they aren't there already. it's the program file location for 32-bit programs

3. windowserror

that might work for some, but most of the games give me a "The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you are running. Check your computers information to see if you need a x86 (32 bit) or x64 (64 bit) version of the program, and contact the software provider."

I get that message when I try to install them.

4. TrickyNick

TrickyNick

You have to run the installer in compatibility mode. When you put the CD/DVD into the drive, and the setup program runs or gives you that error, close it. Then open up the CD/DVD in windows explorer and find the setup file that installs the games, and change it to use compatibility mode for XP, that should get it work, I've had to do that to a few of my games as well.

Just reread your post, you've already done that. Sleep deprived, sorry.

5. windowserror

yeah, I get that error message when I am trying to run them in compatibility mode.

6. TrickyNick

TrickyNick

What version of Sims are you trying to install? If it's the original, I just read that it uses a 16-bit installer & it won't install on a 64-bit system. Linky

7. windowserror

I am not trying to install The Sims.... the Maxis-made sim games.... i.e. Sim Safari, Sim Park, Sim Copter, Sim City series, etc.

8. Jonathan_King

Jonathan_King

Any 32-bit program will run in a 64-bit system, although it may require compatibility mode.

However, not all programs running on a x86 system are 32-bit, however. A 32-bit OS will also run 16-bit programs.

A x64 system will not run 16-bit programs, even with compatibility mode.

If you have Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate, you can use XP-Mode to create a virtual XP machine. See this link to get started: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

9. windowserror

So you are telling me that the Sim games I want to run are most likely 16 bit games. That makes sense then, they won't work in compatibility mode.

I have Home Premium... therefore I can't use the Microsoft virtual machine. Is there some freeware out there that does the same thing?

10. Jonathan_King

Jonathan_King

Sure, VirtualBox. The program itself is free, but you will need to pay for a copy of XP, just as if you were installing it on a real machine.

11. windowserror

So better question... Is there a legal way I can do that without having to buy another copy of Windows?

12. blakcshadow

blakcshadow

run Linux under VirtualBox with WINE installed

13. Jonathan_King

Jonathan_King

Unfortunately not. There are illegal ways, of course, but you have exactly 2 options to do things legally:

1) Use XP-Mode in Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate

2) Purchase a copy of XP with a legitimate product key. eBay is okay, but I strongly recommend making sure it is sealed in its plastic, to avoid getting bitten.

14. blakcshadow

blakcshadow

i have a key I'm willing to part with. I changed an XP machine to Windows 7

15. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You upgraded using a full license and not an upgrade? If not, the XP license cannot be used on another computer.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/930386

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice