32 Bit or 64 Bit ?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

garystan

Hi everybody :
I'm not sure if I posted this questlion before. I have a Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H Motherboard. It's running in 32-bit mode. (I have a hard time getting through to Gigabyte Support). Using the Core i3-320 CPU. First..........I was informed, before, that this Motherboard CAN run 64-bit software. I'm not sure where (and how) to find out if.....when I switch to Windows 10......to install the 32-bit version.....or the 64-bit version. And............would I need to change the CPU. Advice ?
garystan

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
No you do not need to change the CPU it is 64bit capable
Instruction Set64-bit

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...core-i3-3220-processor-3m-cache-3-30-ghz.html
That said it is 8 or so years old a discontinued product and although it will run 10, you will struggle to find some drivers for the system and will end up with Windows reference drivers.
These are basic drivers, rather than the ones designed for the hardware.
That is NOT a result of going 64bit, merely the age of the CPU and the board which has the Intel Z77 chipset
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/64024/intel-z77-express-chipset.html

I am NOT saying that 10 will not run and you have nothing to lose by trying it as the upgrade from 7 is still free from Microsoft, at least as far as I know, it was just a week ago or so.
If you do not have an actual graphics card then the graphics care from the CPU

Intel® HD Graphics 2500
Here is the driver for 10 64bit
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...phics-Driver-for-Windows-15-33-?product=81501
top listed driver on left pane

Re the move to 10 - I would not leave it long before making it.
I have no idea how long the free upgrade will last
I expected it to cease when 7 went end of life, but it did not.
You can go to 10, get it activated and then if you have problems, you can go back to 7, but when you need it, you will still have the licence for 10 on that computer.

7 will and to some extent already has become a security risk, and this can only increase over time, as no security updates or any other updates are issued and as with XP, this simply increases the risk of weaknesses being exploited.

Last edited:

garystan

Macboatmaster :
A while back, I ran the combatibility test for Windows 10. And, my answer is "yes". I bought, a while ago, Wndows 10 (on USB). So, I guess I can install Windows 10 64-bit. As for the CPU side of things, you answered that question for me. I checked the receipt when I bought the Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H Motherboard. The date says 7/30/2013. So.........am I still "in the ball game" ?
Thanks,
garystan

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
The windows 10 you bought - on usb did it come with a product key
Do NOT include it in your reply
You can use that key to upgrade to the latest version of 10, if the usb was bought sometime ago
You can do that from here

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10
see
using the tool the upgrade this pc.
That is the second heading on the link , not the 2020 update

I strongly recommend a full image on an external drive before you start.
Everything should be saved and still be on 10, but things can always go wrong

garystan

Macboatmaster :
I did some checking. In my System properties, I found out that my motherboard IS "64-bit capable" . So.........on that note......if memory serves me right........when I bought my copy of Windows 10, I think the description said that both 32-bit AND 64-bit versions were on the flash drive. I have to check to make sure. Being I prefer 64-bit.
Thanks for your help
garystan

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I know it is 64 bit I said so in my post
The question was - was the CPU and yes it is as I said
The windows 10 install is always both - you select which

As I said earlier
Further to the above if you need help moving to 10 I will guide you through the process.

Last edited:

garystan

Macboatmaster :
This may sound like a dumb question.....................Other than backing up need files and software...............should I FORMAT my hard-drive before installing Windows 10 ? Or, would the install process just overwrite what's on the hard-drive ?
garystan

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
1. WHAT capacity of RAM do you have
It may be easier to send me a paste of the results of our system information utility
We recommend that you download our free system info utility. When you run it, it will show technical specifications of your computer. Please copy and paste that information and include it with your question below. Thank you!
PLEASE DO THIS BEFORE YOU START the change over to 10

2, NO DO NOT FORMAT it you will lose everything
THIS IS THE FULL PROCEDURE
https://www.howtogeek.com/228042/how-to-switch-from-32-bit-windows-10-to-64-bit-windows-10/

so firstly you upgrade as I said to 10 that will be a 32 bit version of 10
From the link above
First, if you haven’t upgraded to Windows 10 yet, you’ll need to use the upgrade tool to upgrade. You’ll get the 32-bit version of Windows 10 if you were previously using a 32-bit version of Windows 7 or 8.1. But the upgrade process will give your PC a Windows 10 license. After upgrading, be sure to check that your current 32-bit version of Windows 10 is activated under Settings > Update & security > Activation.
3. Then you having got that and it is activated - you will NOT need the product key you bought at that stage.
Check all is working and leave it for a few days for windows updates etc.

4. You then proceed to the second stage which is to download the tool to create installation media
From the link
Next, restart your computer (you did back everything up, right?) and boot from the installation media. Install the 64-bit Windows 10, selecting “Custom install” and overwriting your current version of Windows. When you’re asked to insert a product key, skip the process and continue. You’ll have to skip two of these prompts in total. After you reach the desktop, Windows 10 will automatically check in with Microsoft and activate itself. You’ll now be running the 64-bit edition of Windows on your PC.

5. Another link for you from Windows 10 forums - where I also work
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/139745-upgrade-windows-10-windows-7-free.html
When you upgrade from a legally activated Windows 7 to Windows 10, Windows 10 will be the same 32-bit or 64-bit version as Windows 7.

6. You will not be able to upgrade from a 32-bit Windows 7 to a 64-bit Windows 10 OR a 64-bit Windows 7 to a 32-bit Windows 10. This would require a clean install of Windows 10 instead, and Windows 10 would not be activated unless you upgraded to Windows 10 using the method in this tutorial first to activate, and then clean install the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows 10 you wanted afterwards.
and then after the upgrade from 32 bit 7 to 32bit 10 you then make the clean install of 10 64 bit
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-clean-install-windows-10-a.html

7. NOTE the upgrade from 7 to 10 32bit will not likely require a product key
Then the change from 32 bit 10 to 64 bit 10 will use the same key
SO if that works you will still have the key you bought.

8. YOU MUST BACK UP all you need before making the change from 32 bit 10 to 64 bit 10 as THAT is a clean install and you will need to then copy back your personal data

9. AS I said before you really need a complete system image of the computer as you have it now on an external drive, so that if things go wrong you can go back to as is now, without a lot of difficulty

10. ANY questions please ask
and my advice is to read those links I sent you BEFORE you start.
There is no rush and although I will help you as necessary, it is easier if you KNOW what you are doing at each stage BEFORE you start

Last edited:

garystan

Macboatmaster :
Sorry to bother you and keep this dialog going. Today (8/2/2020) I ordered the RAM. I was trying to get an answer from Gigabyte, but it's a "back-and-forth" with them. Right now, I have 2 2Gb Chips in slots 1 and2. Leaving slots 3 and 4 empty. I asked them if I should just use slots 1 and 2 for the 4Gb RAM chips. Or use slots 3 and 4 for the 4Gb RAM chips. They just something to the effect of just adding the 4Gb RAM chips (?). That doesn't sound right, being my motherboard is a Dual Channel motherboard. I was just thinking.........just use slots 1 and 2 with the 4Gb RAM chips. Advice ?
garystan

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
On my last post I asked you about the ram and suggested you send me the results of the system information utility
Point One on my post.
You did not reply, and it seems went ahead and ordered the ram yesterday presumably 2 x 4GB
It would appear you already have 2 x 2GB

It all now depends on which ram you have bought, as if there are two sticks of ram in ONE channel, the ram wil work at the speed of the slowest stick.
Alternatively if there was one stick in each channel, then you are using dual channel

Ideally you wanted two more 2GB matched sticks.
You then put thse two sticks in one channel and the two original sticks in the other channel.
The SAME coloured slots are NOT a channel.
One stick in each of the blue slots is ONE stick in each channel

So on your board and moving FROM the processor the slots are Blue DIMM 4
WHITE DIMM 2
BLUE DIMM 3
WHITE DIMM 1.

SO channel A is slots 2 and 4
Channel B is slots 1 and 3.
From your manual
1-4-1 Dual Channel Memory Configuration This motherboard provides four DDR3 memory sockets and supports Dual Channel Technology. After the memory is installed, the BIOS will automatically detect the specifications and capacity of the memory. Enabling Dual Channel memory mode will double the original memory bandwidth. The four DDR3 memory sockets are divided into two channels and each channel has two memory sockets as following: Channel A: DDR3_2, DDR3_4 Channel B: DDR3_1, DDR3_3

When enabling Dual Channel mode with two or four memory modules, it is recommended that memory of the same capacity, brand, speed, and chips be used and installed in the same colored DDR3 sockets.

For optimum performance, when enabling Dual Channel mode with two memory modules, we recommend that you install them in the DDR3_1 and DDR3_2 sockets.

See page 16 if you wish to read it yourself I have already sent you the link to the board.

The way you have gone about the ram issue, is not the best way, you have ordered what you thought was right and then asked for advice.

I suggest you try as emboldened in red with the two 4GB sticks
You do not really need more than 8GB

garystan

Macboatmaster :
Thanks for your reply. I checked in my owner's manual, and it wasn't very clear. I DID mention something about using all four slots. But, being my board is a "Dual Channel", I can't use all four slots. That's where the confusion was coming in to play. So, plan on swapping out the 2 2Gb chips for 2 4Gb chips. Again, thanks for explaining this.
garystan

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
You can try all four, as I said, but ideally you wanted the 8Gb to be in 4 sticks of 2GB
Install those 4GB sticks asa shown, then get 10 installed, 32 bit
Then go to 64 bit
Then we can try the ram to see if we can get 12GB working.
I do not know how the paper manual you have explains it
I sent the link on a post earlier in the topic, the online manual, is crystal clear, with diagrams.

garystan

Macboatmaster :
Through some research, I found out that my System is booted in BIOS mode. Not UEFI. So...........would that make a difference in the process of switching from Windows 7 32-bit to Windows 10 64-bit ?
Thanks
garystan

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts