1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

32-bit Vista Wireless Networking issue, DNS server trouble

Discussion in 'Networking' started by justin_ls, Feb 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. justin_ls

justin_ls Thread Starter

Hello. I'm having great difficulty accessing the internet on my HP notebook. Basically, I performed a windows update to the desktop computer to which the modem and router are connected, and ever since then, the laptop has stopped working. Actually, the desktop also had a small hangup, but Windows was able to repair and do something to the DNS... after which the desktop was back to normal. Please help with your expertise! I'm not technically challenged lol, but I'm not a wireless network expert either-

Okay, the HP laptop is running MS Vista, 32-bit operating system. It is able to connect to the router no prob, but the internet is another story.

I updated the firmware to the modem, flushed the dns in command prompt, and uninstalled and reinstalled with updated driver the network card. I also reset the router and resetup the WEP security - Both the desktop and another HP laptop are still able to access the net beautifully. What's wrong with mine!!?:eek:

In addition, I reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log
    and...
    Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

loaded as attachements you will see the ipconfig /all settings on the laptop that won't access the internet and also the error screen i'm getting (these were saved as jpg's)

The second set of ipconfig /all settings (copy and pasted below) are those of the desktop that is working beautifully. Thanks for the HELP, ..much appreciated!!

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Moser-PC
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : domain.actdsltmp

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : domain.actdsltmp
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1A-92-41-C4-85
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::38dc:b18e:2640:88de%8(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.4(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, February 06, 2009 7:42:07 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, February 07, 2009 7:42:07 PM
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 201333394
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e50:1c4b:3b54:3f57:fffb(Pref
    erred)
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::1c4b:3b54:3f57:fffb%9(Preferred)
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Attached Files:

2. alexander7567

alexander7567

can u post an image of the network status? i mean go to network and sharing center and click view status and post a picture of that on there. I had 2 laptops with that same problem come in the shop a few days ago at the same time. weird...

3. alexander7567

alexander7567

one more question.. are the other computers in ur network running on wireless or wired?

those vista laptops that came in the shop could connect to wired easy but prob with wireless.

4. justin_ls

justin_ls Thread Starter

here you go. the other laptop that is still able to access the internet is doing so via wireless. It is running XP.

Attached Files:

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

First, let's use the correct stack repair for Vista.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows Vista.

Start, All Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands:

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

Next, I'd like to see this with a wired connection to the router with this machine.

Try these simple tests.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands one at a time, followed by the Enter key:

IPCONFIG /ALL

PING <computer_IP_address>

PING <default_gateway_address>

PING <dns_servers>

PING 206.190.60.37

PING yahoo.com

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
    Paste the results in a message here.

<computer_IP_address> - The IP Address of your computer, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

<default_gateway_address> - The IP address of the Default Gateway, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

<dns_servers> - The IP address of the first (or only) address for DNS Servers, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

6. justin_ls

justin_ls Thread Starter

It appears I've posted some private information in the pursuit of solving my dilema. JohnWill, as a moderator w/ quite a bit of experience - can you please help me delete this post?? I don't see the delete/remove attachements option anywhere. Thanks

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't see any private information. Unless you don't want anybody to see your computer's name?

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Other than your name, which you also used in your forum ID, what private information do you think you're exposing? The IPCONFIG information is useless to anyone outside your private network, since they're all addresses issued by your router, and match millions of other folks with routers with the same base address.

I don't know what convinced you that there is private information on display, but I'm at a loss as to what it is.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/798282

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice