1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

32 bit vs 64 bit ?????????????????

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mykidsdaddy, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mykidsdaddy

mykidsdaddy Thread Starter

I wasn't sure where to post this but I am gonna bet this was a good choice. It is a general question...

I have an HP and it runs Win7 64 bit. I have had many "issues" with it since it was new one year ago. Mostly little BS things, "Page done but with errors" things like this! I also have Java problems, other update problems and then last night,
    I was TRYING to help my buddy with his computer. It is a Dell that runs Vista 64 bit. I was TRYING to install a Linksys WMP300N PCI Wireless adapter. On the box, and inside on their literature in great big letters..."Windows Vista Certified" So...I started to install using the quick reference stuff printed on the cardboard literature holder, I have installed the same adapter before on an XP machine...while I was running the install CD, I was looking at the other stuff in the box and found a sheet that said NOT to install using the install CD. It tells me to go to Linksys site and support to get the vista drivers. I did that and their download doesn't include an executable run file of any sort! I was pissed! I looked at another piece of literature and it says to go ahead and run the CD. I ran it and it was installed and everything looks OK! BUT...it doesn't work! It picks up our signal but has a problem that "Windows is unable to diagnose"!

Back to Linksys support page and after reading alot more stuff...I find this little blurb...

This adapter will work on32 bit systems only. It will not work on a 64 bit system,
    WHY???
    And Why don't they put a little warning on their BOX and maybe on their literature???
    Rant over but I am still curious as to the differences and if it is something I can change!

Thanks and Merry Christmas To All :D :D :D

2. flyer0101

flyer0101

First Name:
    Dylan
    you can change however i would recommend not to 64-Bit is faster and it also allows you to have more RAM. any 32-Bit machine can only regisiter a limited amount of RAM, for instance i have 4Gb RAM the computer only see 3.5 in other cases it has only seen 3 or 3.2. When you download programs off the internet such as JAVA you have make sure you select 64-Bit. I ran 64-Bit Win7 for awhile until my Hard drive failed and i lost the Cd's and such. I personally perfer 64-Bit but im mainly a gamer. More support is coming out for 64-Bit though. i recommend you read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit and read the pro's and con's section in has more information then i do.

3. Hughv

Hughv

4. mykidsdaddy

mykidsdaddy Thread Starter

Thank you! I will read the Wiki info! And Thanks to you too Hugh. I Just got back from Reno and went and bought a Netgear 32/64 bit USB adapter for him. The WMP will do just fine in my old XP machine I am giving to one of my sons for Christmas! Ho Ho Ho!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970257

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice