32 GB of ram, only 16 is read by bios, windows and ubuntu

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

s903s

Hi everyone, I have an issue since some years that I have never succeeded to understand on what it depends I have a computer assembled by me with these features:
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
Processor Count: 8
RAM: 16326 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680, -2048 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 161701 MB, Free - 68643 MB; D: Total - 476937 MB, Free - 107123 MB; F: Total - 3815445 MB, Free - 2740318 MB;
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., P8Z77-V DELUXE
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled
When I have assembled this pc for some months both windows and ubuntu they was reading 32 GB of ram fully. After some months suddenly it reads 16 GB of ram, from bios also if the rams are 1866 mhz I can take them only maximum to 1600 mhz. I can't understand why I have this issue and how to solve it. I attach to this conversation some screen of cpuz and windows properties.
Thank you for helping

Undo all of your overclocking then reseat the memory or even try them in different slots if it still has problems.

s903s

I have no overclock, I have tried using different slots and you know what it happens? if remove all, and put two 8 GB rams in same colour slots (so blue slots or black slots) computer detects 16 GB, if I put 1 8GB ram in black slot and 1 in blue slot, computer detects 8GB but SPD so CPU-z always detect all ram inserted

valis

I gotta ask; what on earth are you using that PC for? I think the only other rig I've seen with that sort of ram was a movie making machine......just curious, that's all.

s903s

I gotta ask; what on earth are you using that PC for? I think the only other rig I've seen with that sort of ram was a movie making machine......just curious, that's all.
I'm a computer engineer, if you are asking why I need such ram it is because I have to execute multiple virtual machine with different OSes who can execute also complex programs, pratically my pc has to work like a server too in certain occasions

The manual is a little unclear; but, it says to "press and hold the Mem-OK! button" on the system board to restore the factory defaults. I think you should be pressing the button while you turn it on.

crjdriver

You posted you are a computer engineer. If that is so, have you checked the specs on your mb???
if the rams are 1866 mhz I can take them only maximum to 1600 mhz. I can't understand why I have this issue and how to solve it
A simple check of the specs will show you that your board ONLY supports 1600mzh ram unless you overclock. This is normal for ddr3 ram. In order to achieve ram speeds above 1600, you need to set speed and timings manually in the bios. Have you set speed and timings manually?

Next on the support page, there are numerous bios updates that address both memory compatibility and system stability. Are you running the latest bios?
Link to the support page for your mb;
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8Z77V_DELUXE/specifications/

crjdriver

s903s

The manual is a little unclear; but, it says to "press and hold the Mem-OK! button" on the system board to restore the factory defaults. I think you should be pressing the button while you turn it on.
Yes I have done a cmos reset but always the same

You posted you are a computer engineer. If that is so, have you checked the specs on your mb???

A simple check of the specs will show you that your board ONLY supports 1600mzh ram unless you overclock. This is normal for ddr3 ram. In order to achieve ram speeds above 1600, you need to set speed and timings manually in the bios. Have you set speed and timings manually?

Next on the support page, there are numerous bios updates that address both memory compatibility and system stability. Are you running the latest bios?
Link to the support page for your mb;
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8Z77V_DELUXE/specifications/
One last item. If this is your ram;
http://www.corsair.com/en-us/vengeance-32gb-quad-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cmz32gx3m4x1866c10
It is not 1600 ram. If you look at the specs, it is 1333 ram however it has been tested up to 1866 at the stock voltage of 1.5V. It should have no problem running at 1600 however do understand that it is really only 1333 ram [that is what cpuz shows in your screenshot as well 667 doubled gives you 1333 ram]
I know that infact my ram is setted to 1600 mhz in bios and I have setted everything on auto not manually, I have tried also putting on 1333 mhz but it's the same, and yes my bios is updated to latest version 2104 I have tried also downgrading bios and updating again but it doesn't work, and I have tried also putting manually the values

crjdriver

I just checked the qvl list for your board and your ram is not on the list. While this in and of itself does not mean it will not work, it means it was never tested and found to work. When you use parts not on the qvl list, you are in effect a beta tester; might work fine and it might not work fine.

Here is what I would do.
1 System OFF, pull all ram out
2 Clean ram slots with a can of air. Be sure all dust and debris is removed
3 Insert one set of ram chips and pw ON
4 Run memtest for at least 1hr on the single set of ram chips. As long as there are no errors, shutdown and insert the second set of chips so all four are now inserted. Again boot with memtest and test ram. If you have no errors after another hour, restart the system and see if windows detects all ram.

crjdriver

BTW sometimes when all four ram slots are populated, it can cause some issues ie downclock of ram speed or vdimm dropping. If you still have problems, I would up vdimm by .1V and repeat ie from 1.5V to 1.6V.

s903s

I just checked the qvl list for your board and your ram is not on the list. While this in and of itself does not mean it will not work, it means it was never tested and found to work. When you use parts not on the qvl list, you are in effect a beta tester; might work fine and it might not work fine.

Here is what I would do.
1 System OFF, pull all ram out
2 Clean ram slots with a can of air. Be sure all dust and debris is removed
3 Insert one set of ram chips and pw ON
4 Run memtest for at least 1hr on the single set of ram chips. As long as there are no errors, shutdown and insert the second set of chips so all four are now inserted. Again boot with memtest and test ram. If you have no errors after another hour, restart the system and see if windows detects all ram.
My ram is on qvl: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb...QVL.pdf?_ga=1.205534547.1754876328.1472474918 , you can look in 1866mhz O.C. CMZ32GX3M4X1866C10 , I have cleaned the slots with can of air yesterday I did memtest86 pro , memtest86+ and windows memtest, memtest86 pro endured like 4 hours and at the end he said just a warning saying that my ram could be affected by row hammering issue.

BTW sometimes when all four ram slots are populated, it can cause some issues ie downclock of ram speed or vdimm dropping. If you still have problems, I would up vdimm by .1V and repeat ie from 1.5V to 1.6V.
I'm gonna try

s903s

I have changed ram voltage to 1.6 V but nothing changes I have also tried to set up timing manually, and 1866 mhz as frequency so to overclock as suggested on the asus qvl list , 10-11-10-27 but when I do that and save the pc turns off with black screen and with dram red led turned on until I don't shut down with power button and turn on and it says overclock failed

crjdriver

Your ram is not on the qvl list so how can you set what was suggested?
The timings on the corsair site are 10-11-10-30 not what you posted above.
Set the correct timing and up the vdimm to 1.6V. Set 1600 NOT 1866. See if all of your ram is detected.
I assume you have cleaned all slots with air correct?

s903s

my ram are on qvl: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb...QVL.pdf?_ga=1.205534547.1754876328.1472474918

CORSAIR CMZ32GX3M4X1866C10(Ver3.23)(XMP) 32GB ( 4x 8GB ) DS - - 10-11-10-27 1.5 ●●●

I have tried them on my friend pc with 1.5 V with these timing same motherboard, they works overclocked to 1866 mhz so the issue isn't about the RAM, I have also tried putting them one per time every slot and they are detected 8 GB from bios so my hypothesis is or it's an issue about CPU or it's about the software of bios like ME , yes I have cleaned all slots with air, if they wasn't clean putting one at time motherboard shouldn't detect them

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts