1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

32gig USB flash drive issue with divx files

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by not-phil, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. not-phil

not-phil Thread Starter

Hi, I've a 32gig USB flash drive purchased off of ebay and seems to work fine except with divx video files. I copy all files but only some show up with detail such as dimensions and runtime. These work fine (on my philips divx player) and on PC (windowz) from the stick. The rest seems to have no video track even though the file size is correct. Could I have a driver problem ?
    Thanx very much for any help.
    not-phil

2. BG-0

BG-0

Compare sizes. Are the non-working ones bigger than the working?

3. not-phil

not-phil Thread Starter

One is, the rest not.
    Last attempt got about half the files on OK, one at a time, then it would not copy the rest correctly.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

How large are the files, and how is the drive formatted?

5. not-phil

not-phil Thread Starter

Hi, The drive is formatted fat32.
    Files range in size from 405,277kb to 1,157,144kb.
    Most are in the 700,000kb range.
    All work from hard disk and show Duration/Dimensions

Once copied to usb flash, only some show this information and play.

I am unsure if the issue is with some files (which get trashed upon copy to usb flash - Samsung 32g) or with teh flash memory stick itself. Anybody know any good test software for usb flash drives to determine if that is OK ?
    Anybody know any good divx test/rebild software to check all the files and maybe see if there is any differance between files ?

Thanx much all,
    Tim

6. not-phil

not-phil Thread Starter

Just an update to the info.
    I've tried reformatiing - windowz and linus.
    No change.

I HAVE goten all file to copy from disk to another usb flash from a guy at work and they all looked OK. Looks like my usb flash.
    32 gig Samsung.

Anybody know a good freeware to try and format with error detection to remove bad memory locations from the usable space ? less space that's usable would be cool.
    Perhaps I am just not able to access the memory correctly ? Othere file types seem to be OK. I plan to try and dump ALL my pictures onto one as soon as I get a chance then see if they are ALL OK. Should test some serious memory anyway.
    Suggestions ? Sure want to get to the bottom of this someday. I'm probably not the only one out there to hit this, just have not found anything else relevent on the web.
    Thanx for any help. I'll keep updateing as I get usfull ? info.
    not-phil

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!