1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

32MB of RAM in Shared Memory?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PCMan78, Sep 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PCMan78

PCMan78 Thread Starter

I have built a couple of computers (some with 256mb, 512, 128, DDR, PC133 types of RAM). When I boot, everything works great, except I don't like Windows showing that a computer with 256 mb of RAM has only 224mb of RAM. I know that 32mb is shared, but is there some way where I can change how Windows shows how much is in the machine. Thanks!

2. compilerxp

compilerxp

Well.. that's what the OS sees because on the hardware level, the onboard Video has already taken use of 32mb of the RAM... Windows is reporting what it finds available to the system... not what you have installed.

You could add a $50 64mb video card, that would free up your RAM and improve performance.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can change the allocation to the video function in the BIOS, but that may affect the performance of the video or the available resolutions.

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

PCman
    Unfortunately the guys are correct that Windows only reports what it sees is available for its own use and without a hack I do not think there is any changes you can make.
    Have you thought about using a third party program such as Belarc to display, print and save system information. When I build a system for someone I use it to show what is actually in there system.
    Or
    Another more comprehensive system info app is Aida32

Dave

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Of course, I'm not sure what the issue is. If the 224mb of memory is not enough, just put more memory in the box.

6. PCMan78

PCMan78 Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. Great Info!!!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!