1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

330W or 660W AC Adapter for 980M SLI

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by StevenMal, Jun 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StevenMal

StevenMal Thread Starter

I'm considering a Eurocom X8 with 980M SLI and the sales rep I'm talking to says I'll need a 660W AC adapter instead of a 330W adapter for 980M SLI. I understand that SLI consumes extra power but both the MSI GT80 and the Sager NP9377 with 980M SLI from xoticpc.com come with 330W AC adapters, without an option for a 660W AC adapter. Is there any reason why? Should I spend the extra $245 for the 660W AC adapter or will the 330W AC adapter be sufficient for 980M SLI? Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    please post the rest of your system specs? If by AC Adapter do you mean Power Supply? If so then a 330w Power supply would be under powered for an discrete Video Adapter plus the rest of your system. You not only need to provide power to the Video Card but also ALL the other components of your system as well.

3. StevenMal

StevenMal Thread Starter

120Hz display
    CPU: i7-4710MQ OR i7-4810MQ
    GPU: GTX 980M SLI
    16 GB RAM
    SSD: Micron/Crucial M500 480GB
    HDD: 1TB 7200rpm

I've never overclocked before and I don't plan on it but I want to make use of my 980M SLI so do I NEED to spend the extra $245, if I'm not going to be overclocking? I've never used a dual AC adapter either. I'll probably end up getting the 660W but I just want to be sure.

TLDR: How would the system perform with a 330W AC adapter?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1149466

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice