350 Mhz Processor being seen as 175 Mhz

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ShockFu

:cool:
I've been using my old AMD 350 MHz back-up machine lately, out of necessity. Several diagnostic apps, such as Belarc Adviser are reporting it to be 175 MHz. The boot menu is saying 350.
Why is this happening, and what can I do to get my 350 MHz. chip to be seen for what it actually is?
It's bad enough that I'm forced to use the old boy right now, but I'd be a lot happier if the diagnostic apps were seeing it for what it is.
Any ideas folks??

What does Windows report.

Right click My Computer select Properties to view it.

If it correct I would not worry about some third party utility is reporting.

ShockFu

I'm running Win 2K Pro. Properties only tells me that it'a an authentic AMD Processor. There is no mention of it's speed. Thanx for the reply.

ShockFu

Here's the whole report:
System Information report written at: 01/22/2005 07:32:37 PM
[System Summary]

Item Value
OS Name Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
Version 5.0.2195 Service Pack 4 Build 2195
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name FUMACHINE
System Manufacturer System Manufacturer
System Model System Name
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 5 Model 8 Stepping 12 AuthenticAMD ~175 Mhz
BIOS Version DMI Ver-2.0, Aug 24, 1995
Windows Directory C:\WINNT
System Directory C:\WINNT\system32
Boot Device \Device\Harddisk0\Partition1
Locale United States
User Name FUMACHINE\Administrator
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 261,616 KB
Available Physical Memory 142,980 KB
Total Virtual Memory 1,013,216 KB
Available Virtual Memory 663,184 KB
Page File Space 751,600 KB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
I don't get it!

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
Bios setting????? or a jumper on the mobo (can't see how that would change). What motherboard is it?

ShockFu

You're probably right. My daughter and son-in- law were trying to get a 500 MHz chip to work in it a couple years back. Wouldn't work in this unit. Mobo is MS-5169 ATX AL9 MB. They probably changed some jumpers during that attempt. Guess I'll have to open her up and compare the board settings to the manual. Hopefully it'll be there. I'll post the results, probably tomorrow. Little tired now! Thank you.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online